A Policeman's Lot is not a Happy One - Gilbert and Sullivan

Discussions on Records, Recording, & Artists
audiophile102
Victor IV
Personal Text: Say to yourself I am so happy hurray!

A Policeman's Lot is not a Happy One - Gilbert and Sullivan

Post by audiophile102 »

I uploaded this video to my You Tube page a while ago when I was selling a set of Gilbert and Sullivan records. Seeing it again, I almost regret selling the record. I was in law enforcement for over 30 years and I have to agree with the lyrics of the song. The best part of the video is how well my Sonora Invincible is shown. I will never sell it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G0iIe5BpkQI
"You can't take the phonographs nor the money with you, but the contentment the phonographs bring may well make your life better, and happier lives make the world a better place."

barnettrp21122
Victor IV
Personal Text: "Did you ever stop to think that pleasure is a duty?" (Victor sales pamphlet)

Re: A Policeman's Lot is not a Happy One - Gilbert and Sulli

Post by barnettrp21122 »

Very clever fellows, Gilbert and Sullivan! I couldn't read the label, and wonder if this is an acoustic or electric recording. Lovely Sonora, and very nice sound too!
Thanks!
Bob
"Comparison is the thief of joy" Theodore Roosevelt

His Master's Voice Automatic 1A Exponential Gramophone Demonstration:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qi70G1Rzqpo

audiophile102
Victor IV

Post by audiophile102 »

barnettrp21122 wrote:Very clever fellows, Gilbert and Sullivan! I couldn't read the label, and wonder if this is an acoustic or electric recording. Lovely Sonora, and very nice sound too!
Thanks!
Bob

I sold the records in the Gilbert and Sullivan collection to fellow member Lucius1958. The recordings as I recall were very early acoustic.
"You can't take the phonographs nor the money with you, but the contentment the phonographs bring may well make your life better, and happier lives make the world a better place."

billybob62
Victor III

Post by billybob62 »

Best seen on DVD of Pirates by Opera Australia or the DVD production from New York Central Park outdoors with, I believe, Patricia Rutledge. The dancing during THAT production of the singing police with a guy named Tony something is hysterical. :D

epigramophone
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: An analogue relic trapped in a digital world.

Post by epigramophone »

Central Park was a strangely appropriate location, as the work was premiered at the Fifth Avenue Theatre New York on 31st December 1879.

Menophanes
Victor II

Post by Menophanes »

This is Peter Dawson as the Sergeant in the acoustic set made by H.M.V. in 1920. Violet Essex, as Mabel, sings the opening phrases. The pitch is a semitone sharp!

Oliver Mundy.

Henry
Victor V

Post by Henry »

Menophanes wrote:This is Peter Dawson as the Sergeant in the acoustic set made by H.M.V. in 1920. Violet Essex, as Mabel, sings the opening phrases. The pitch is a semitone sharp!

Oliver Mundy.
I thought the tempo was a tad too fast, as well, so possibly the playback speed is off?

audiophile102
Victor IV

Post by audiophile102 »

"Oliver Mundy. I thought the tempo was a tad too fast, as well, so possibly the playback speed is off?"

Next time I get to a phonograph show I'm going to look for a speed calibration strobe tool. It might very well be too fast.