Yet another HMV portable in Teak

Discussions on Talking Machines of British or European Manufacture
epigramophone
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: An analogue relic trapped in a digital world.

Yet another HMV portable in Teak

Post by epigramophone »

A rough exterior, a suspect motor and a fanciful description did not prevent this rare Model 114c making £410 on UK eBay. I very much doubt that it was "made and given to officers only", even though officers were probably the target market. Like any other gramophone it would have been sold to anyone who could afford it, whether they were a general or a garage mechanic. The price was 145 Rupees, later reduced to 140 Rupees.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1930-039-s-HM ... true&rt=nc
Attachments
114c2.jpg
114c.jpg
114c3.jpg

Teak
Victor II

Re: Yet another HMV portable in Teak

Post by Teak »

hm, yes, I guess I overspent a little. But then again, its a 114, Its quite rare in Teak, its original with only one screw missing, and most importantly it will look lovely next to my other teak portable :D

epigramophone
Victor Monarch Special

Post by epigramophone »

Glad to see that the machine has gone to a good home. I too was tempted. The 114 is covered in Dave Cooper's book on HMV portables, but in case you don't have a copy he dates the model between about 1934 to 1941. Yours being a 114c will be nearer 1941 than 1934 as it was fitted with the No.5B soundbox. The 114 was also available in brown leathercloth at a slightly lower price. The teak version is said to have had black embossed lines on the outer case, but I see no evidence of this on yours. This is not surprising as the specifications of Indian built machines tend to be many and varied.

My teak 101 is coming along nicely. I have listened to good advice and opted for conservation rather than restoration. Re-assembly is not far off, and pictures will follow in due course. Please keep the forum posted with your progress on the 114.

Roger.

soundgen
Victor V

Post by soundgen »

Teak wrote:hm, yes, I guess I overspent a little. But then again, its a 114, Its quite rare in Teak, its original with only one screw missing, and most importantly it will look lovely next to my other teak portable :D
You haven't overspent where will you see another now ? I have had two in the past ( 1980s ) one like yours and another with inlaid black wood lines not printed ! unfortunately I didn't take pictures , but yours also has the transfer intact which is great

Lucius1958
Victor VI

Post by Lucius1958 »

epigramophone wrote:A rough exterior, a suspect motor and a fanciful description did not prevent this rare Model 114c making £410 on UK eBay. I very much doubt that it was "made and given to officers only", even though officers were probably the target market. Like any other gramophone it would have been sold to anyone who could afford it, whether they were a general or a garage mechanic. The price was 145 Rupees, later reduced to 140 Rupees.

Burma!! :o

Bill

epigramophone
Victor Monarch Special

Post by epigramophone »

Lucius1958 wrote:
epigramophone wrote:A rough exterior, a suspect motor and a fanciful description did not prevent this rare Model 114c making £410 on UK eBay. I very much doubt that it was "made and given to officers only", even though officers were probably the target market. Like any other gramophone it would have been sold to anyone who could afford it, whether they were a general or a garage mechanic. The price was 145 Rupees, later reduced to 140 Rupees.

Bill
What point are you trying to make? The Indian Rupee was the official currency in Burma at the time this machine was sold. The Burmese Kyat was replaced by the Rupee in 1889 and was not re-introduced until the Japanese occupied the country in 1942.

Steve
Victor VI
Location: London, Paris, Amsterdam, Berlin, New York, Evesham

Post by Steve »

I have an almost pristine teak 114 complete with unmarked original finish, ebonised bandings (defined by grooved out markings), original leather handle in fine condition and an almost unused looking interior with mint polish and unmarked HMV trademark transfer. At this rate I'll stick it on Ebay for £1500!

The thing is I've been championing the 114 as the "ultimate reference" portable for years but no one has been listening. It's one of the crown jewels in my collection so if I was to sell it now, I'd have to immediately sell all my other portables shortly thereafter. Then the floodgates would open and the rest would follow suit...........Does anyone know someone who would want a pedestal Expert Senior or HMV 202? :lol:

Phono48
Victor IV

Post by Phono48 »

I've got the brown rexine version, and it's certainly one of the best machines in my collection. The only thing that's annoying is the missing clip that holds the arm for transit. I've made a replacement that works, but looks nothing like the original. Trying to get one of those is akin to finding the proverbial hen's teeth.

Barry

Lucius1958
Victor VI

Post by Lucius1958 »

epigramophone wrote:
Lucius1958 wrote:

Bill
What point are you trying to make? The Indian Rupee was the official currency in Burma at the time this machine was sold. The Burmese Kyat was replaced by the Rupee in 1889 and was not re-introduced until the Japanese occupied the country in 1942.
I panicked.
(Python reference - I was just being silly). :lol: