Triumph Model d question

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
EdisonWizard
Victor III

Triumph Model d question

Post by EdisonWizard »

I got my triumph today and boy is it nice!

But I can't seem to finish a blue amberol. It plays wonderfully, but I run out of feedscrew before it finishes. The same blue amberol will play fully on all my other machines. I tried reaming one a bit just to see and still won't finish. Any ideas? I'm wondering if there's an adjustment I'm not knowing about. See pics below.
Attachments
IMG_3901.JPG
IMG_3902.JPG
IMG_3897.JPG
IMG_3898.JPG
IMG_3899.JPG
IMG_3900.JPG
J.F.

Dave D
Victor IV

Re: Triumph Model d question

Post by Dave D »

It looks like it has a new mandrel shaft bearing. Check that the feed nut is not pressing too tightly on the feedscrew. Or, the new bearing may be too tight.
Dave

EdisonWizard
Victor III

Post by EdisonWizard »

Right after I posted that I think I made a good adjustment. I pulled the bearing on the left out a bit and moved the mandrel slightly to the left. I then loosened the mandrel colar and slid the feedscrew the right. Is this right?
Attachments
IMG_3904.JPG
IMG_3905.JPG
J.F.

EdisonWizard
Victor III

Post by EdisonWizard »

Dave D wrote:It looks like it has a new mandrel shaft bearing. Check that the feed nut is not pressing too tightly on the feedscrew. Or, the new bearing may be too tight.
Dave
It turns perfectly fine, and plays great. It's more of I'm running out of feedscrew before a record finishes if you get what I'm saying.
J.F.

EdisonWizard
Victor III

Post by EdisonWizard »

This model D seems to have a longer feed screw for the 2/4 min mech
Attachments
IMG_3906.PNG
J.F.

Curt A
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Needle Tins are Addictive

Post by Curt A »

Looking at your mandrel and cylinder, it looks like your cylinder needs some more aggressive reaming. The plaster in Blue Amberols swells over time and won't let the cylinder fit far enough left on the mandrel. Yours is just off the right end of the mandrel and the feedscrew wont allow the reproducer to go that far right. So, if you ream your cylinder more, you should be able to push it farther left on the mandrel, where it will be in playing range. The machine is designed to not let the reproducer go too far to the right end and fall off of the record or mandrel...
"The phonograph† is not of any commercial value."
Thomas Alva Edison - Comment to his assistant, Samuel Insull.

"No one needs a Victrola XX, a Perfected Graphophone Type G, or whatever you call those noisy things."
My Wife

Curt A
Victor Monarch Special

Post by Curt A »

Also, just because your cylinder plays on other cylinder machines, doesn't mean it fits correctly, as there are some variances between machines...

"No one needs a Victrola XX, a Perfected Graphophone Type G, or whatever you call those noisy things."
My Wife

EdisonWizard
Victor III

Post by EdisonWizard »

Thanks Curt for the advice. How far on a mandrel is it ideal placement for the cylinder? I teamed one quite a bit where half was past the thickest part of the reamer...and I had the same result. I can't really find much online, but most of the time I see the end of the cylinder flush with the mandrel. If that's the case then that little bit won't make much of a difference if you see where the nut is on the feedscrew. So confused!
J.F.

Zwebie
Victor IV
Personal Text: We are only the caretakers for future generations.

Post by Zwebie »

Right after I posted that I think I made a good adjustment. I pulled the bearing on the left out a bit and moved the mandrel slightly to the left. I then loosened the mandrel colar and slid the feedscrew the right. Is this right?
Edison Wizard,

You need to move the bearing to the right! You also have to loosen the set screw on the main pulley and move the pulley and thus the feedscrew to the right, then readjust the geared bearing pin on the left so that it doesn't stick out so far.
(Sad to say, but it looks like the end of your mandrel has been hammered in, also moving the surface of the mandrel to the right).

Here is a picture of what it should look like:

Bob S.
Attachments
d.JPG

Curt A
Victor Monarch Special

Post by Curt A »

I agree with Bob... In looking again at picture #1 & #2 that you posted, I see what Bob means, the end of the mandrel is dished in and there is too much space on the left between the mandrel and the bedplate casting. Look at Bob's for correct spacing, as yours has probably three times as much space between them...

My Wife