Allen Koenigsberg on "American Ripper" on History Channel

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
Dave D
Victor IV

Allen Koenigsberg on "American Ripper" on History Channel

Post by Dave D »

Allen Koenigsberg was featured on the History Channel's series about Dr. H.H.Holmes, the serial killer at the 1893 Columbian Exposition. Allen was discussing the recording that may be Dr. Holmes discussing the murders.
Dave D

estott
Victor Monarch
Personal Text: I have good days...this might not be one of them

Re: Allen Koenigsberg on "American Ripper" on History Channe

Post by estott »

Dave D wrote:Allen Koenigsberg was featured on the History Channel's series about Dr. H.H.Holmes, the serial killer at the 1893 Columbian Exposition. Allen was discussing the recording that may be Dr. Holmes discussing the murders.
Dave D
I haven't watched the series- the little I HAVE seen suggests it is garbage. I might watch the finale tonight- but won't be shocked if it is a setup for a second season

JerryVan
Victor Monarch Special

Post by JerryVan »

For those not aware of Dr. Holmes, "Murder in the White City" is a "must read". Excellent book, with excellent history of the Columbian Exposition as a back drop. Beautifully written.

TinfoilPhono
Victor IV

Post by TinfoilPhono »

Small correction: it's Devil in the White City, by Erik Larson. A seriously great read -- 100% factual yet reads like an exciting novel.

Raphael
Victor IV

Post by Raphael »

Rene,

Thanks to your and JerryVan's comments, I immediately ordered the book. Thanks to today's amazing technologies, 30 seconds later it was on my iPad and ready to read.

When I entered college in 1965, during indoctrination week the school librarian predicted something similar, he talked about coming into a library one day with no books, but a computer that would print one out for you on demand. He never imagined walking about with that computer so even going to the library would become obsolete.

Raphael

NEFaurora
Victor IV
Personal Text: "A Phonograph in every home..."

Post by NEFaurora »

I saw this entire series...and I was hooked on every episode. It was really good. Given, there is some built up drama and climax to each episode, but that's what you'd expect with a series like this. It was definitely worth watching as the material represented was pretty honest and truthful. Watch it on Demand...

I saw the episode with Allen, and he was really good in the episode.

The last episode finale was really good too....and I would not be surprised if there was a 2nd season..

I say...Watch it.

:0)

Tony K.

Edison Collector/Restorer

JerryVan
Victor Monarch Special

Post by JerryVan »

TinfoilPhono wrote:Small correction: it's Devil in the White City, by Erik Larson. A seriously great read -- 100% factual yet reads like an exciting novel.

Thanks for the correction. I do that every time! Ugh...

Raphael, hope you enjoy the book.

Raphael
Victor IV

Post by Raphael »

Wow, fabulous book that simultaneously told two stories that I knew next to nothing about. It inspired me to order more books about the Columbian Exposition. Thanks for the great tip!

Raphael

Victrolacollector
Victor V

Post by Victrolacollector »

I had a chance to watch the “American Ripper” episode with Allen Koenigaberg. It looks like H.H. Holmes descendent wanted to listen to the recording , but Allen declines by saying the recording is too fragile. Is the recording that fragile just for one more play to a television audience of millions. Instead Allen hands the guy a transcript.

Isn’t there any way to read the grooves with modern play back?

Indestructible
Victor I
Personal Text: Going through life at 160 RPM

Post by Indestructible »

Victrolacollector wrote:I had a chance to watch the “American Ripper” episode with Allen Koenigaberg. It looks like H.H. Holmes descendent wanted to listen to the recording , but Allen declines by saying the recording is too fragile. Is the recording that fragile just for one more play to a television audience of millions. Instead Allen hands the guy a transcript.

Isn’t there any way to read the grooves with modern play back?
I would think a modern day machine would be able to play and record that cylinder with little damage. I wonder what brand/type of cylinder it is.