Digital Recording Question

Share your phonograph repair & restoration techniques here
RolandVV-360
Victor II
Personal Text: The Finest Gift of All!

Digital Recording Question

Post by RolandVV-360 »

I would like to digitize a hot Ben Selvin record because I can't find any other recordings of it on the web. The conflict is that I don't have a stereo converter to digitize the analog signal from my record player's RCA cord. I've been searching for ways to record an RCA output without a stereo converter, but it seems near impossible to find any information regarding the subject. Can anyone shed some light on possible methods?
PHONOGRAPH, n. An irritating toy that restores life to dead noises. -Ambrose Bierce

-Roland

Marco Gilardetti
Victor IV
Personal Text: F. Depero, "Grammofono", 1923.

Re: Digital Recording Question

Post by Marco Gilardetti »

Excuse me Roland, I don't get why you should need such thing as a "stereo converter". Isn't the record you are talking about a mono 78 rpm?

Unless I didn't get exactly what you have in mind to do, all you need is to connect your audio equipment to the audio input of your PC, plus a recording software installed and running on the PC. It can be done also with a smartphone, there are many recording apps.

edisonphonoworks
Victor IV
Personal Text: A new blank with authentic formula and spiral core!

Post by edisonphonoworks »

I have an INPORT that is USB to RCA A/D converter, I just hook the RCA jacks from the back of my mixer, or pre amplifier to the INPORT that is before I had a decent sound card. I have a Dell Studio XPS and the sound card accepts a LINE IN, via ⅛" jack, I have a female RCA jack on 1 end I use that for reel to reel and cassette, or run the RCA master out from my mixer to the female RCA input. My turn table is a Audio Technica AT-LP-120 USB that has 78 variable + - 20% and it hooks to the computer with the USB cable, although I like the sound better with the line in, as the USB has an annoying whine (very faint) in the back ground. I have another cartridge wired for vertical for playing diamond discs I loop the bottom two pins together and then go out the top 2 to the headshell and it plays the Diamond Discs or cylinders.

donniej
Victor III

Post by donniej »

You can buy a small adapter to convert RCA outputs to your computers ⅛" microphone jack. Any electronics store (Radio Shack, Best Buy, etc...) should have it for ~$10.