Vesper gramophone on UK eBay

Post links to auctions and classifieds here
Orchorsol
Victor IV

Re: Vesper gramophone on UK eBay

Post by Orchorsol »

soundgen wrote:
chunnybh wrote:Well done TEAK. I was surprised it had not been snapped up much earlier. I already have this model and wonderful it is too. With all Seymour parts it really does sound wonderful with acoustic records. Placed in a corner, the sound source vanishes and it simply fills a small room.
It makes a sad statement of the current state of the UK gramophone market when a piece like this is ignored by local collectors. It was an absolute bargain too.
UK collecting is in the doldrums , most serious collectors are old and have probably as many machines as they have room for , When we used to go to the Newark ( UK ) antique fair in the 1980s there were always around 100 collectors who would attend over the ensuing years that number tailed off until in the 1990s there were only a handful , if I had found this machine I wouldn't know who to sell it to now , so I would have put it on Ebay as well !
It's a real pity, isn't it. I have a small house with barely enough room for a few EMGs I'm lucky enough to own, and a few small machines. I think we can blame the cost of housing here in the UK in part. I wish I could have found room for this machine, but I just couldn't. Well done Teak!
BCN thorn needles made to the original 1920s specifications: http://www.burmesecolourneedles.com

Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCe4DNb ... TPE-zTAJGg?

soundgen
Victor V

Post by soundgen »

Orchorsol wrote:
soundgen wrote:
chunnybh wrote:Well done TEAK. I was surprised it had not been snapped up much earlier. I already have this model and wonderful it is too. With all Seymour parts it really does sound wonderful with acoustic records. Placed in a corner, the sound source vanishes and it simply fills a small room.
It makes a sad statement of the current state of the UK gramophone market when a piece like this is ignored by local collectors. It was an absolute bargain too.
UK collecting is in the doldrums , most serious collectors are old and have probably as many machines as they have room for , When we used to go to the Newark ( UK ) antique fair in the 1980s there were always around 100 collectors who would attend over the ensuing years that number tailed off until in the 1990s there were only a handful , if I had found this machine I wouldn't know who to sell it to now , so I would have put it on Ebay as well !
It's a real pity, isn't it. I have a small house with barely enough room for a few EMGs I'm lucky enough to own, and a few small machines. I think we can blame the cost of housing here in the UK in part. I wish I could have found room for this machine, but I just couldn't. Well done Teak!
Too true and younger people in the UK are unlikely to collect anything ! rented accommodation !

https://www.theguardian.com/society/201 ... -thinktank

epigramophone
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: An analogue relic trapped in a digital world.

Post by epigramophone »

Yes I am old, 70 if you must know, and yes only lack of space prevented me from acquiring this machine. That is why I did the next best thing and featured it on this forum in the hope that it would find an appreciative new owner, which it clearly has.

The UK gramophone market includes a significant number of collectors, many of them relative beginners, who are unable or unwilling to see beyond the letters HMV. Why else does almost every Crapophone bear the HMV logo? The fakers know that HMV is what the UK market wants, and so do most eBay sellers. It would not surprise me if some of the more intellectually challenged UK "collectors" thought that Vesper later relocated to Italy to manufacture motor scooters :lol: :lol: :lol: .

Do not for one moment imagine that I am disparaging the HMV product. I am not. To have become the market leader with an expensive premium product is proof positive that HMV machines were well designed and well constructed. Their high survival rate is testament to that.

soundgen
Victor V

Post by soundgen »

epigramophone wrote:Yes I am old, 70 if you must know, and yes only lack of space prevented me from acquiring this machine. That is why I did the next best thing and featured it on this forum in the hope that it would find an appreciative new owner, which it clearly has.

The UK gramophone market includes a significant number of collectors, many of them relative beginners, who are unable or unwilling to see beyond the letters HMV. Why else does almost every Crapophone bear the HMV logo? The fakers know that HMV is what the UK market wants, and so do most eBay sellers. It would not surprise me if some of the more intellectually challenged UK "collectors" thought that Vesper later relocated to Italy to manufacture motor scooters :lol: :lol: :lol: .

Do not for one moment imagine that I am disparaging the HMV product. I am not. To have become the market leader with an expensive premium product is proof positive that HMV machines were well designed and well constructed. Their high survival rate is testament to that.
70s not old1

Starkton
Victor IV

Post by Starkton »

The "Queen Anne Model" had a rare feature to conceal its use as talking machine. I cite from the description:
"The machine is wound from the front and the hole for winding handle is concealed under a handle plate."

The Vesper gramophone on ebay is clearly wound from the right. Was it rebuilt?

Starkton
Victor IV

Post by Starkton »

soundgen wrote:
epigramophone wrote:Yes I am old, 70
70s not old1
Among talking machine collectors you are middle-aged, at best.

Teak
Victor II

Post by Teak »

The Vesper is only in the Style of the Queen Ann Model. Maybe earlier, maybe later, but for sure smaller in Size. If you look closer, it is not the same Gramophone. But anyhow, it does not bother me, really.

What bothers me, is that the shipping cost went from 65 Pounds to 175 Pounds, after I already payed for everything. Quite misleading stuff...

Teak
Victor II

Post by Teak »

TNT officially lost the gramophone during shipping. UNBELIEVABLE :shock: :(

Curt A
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Needle Tins are Addictive

Post by Curt A »

Lost it??? Now that REALLY sucks... :( :roll: (almost as much as getting old does)

How do you "lose" something that big??? It probably got run over by a hi-low on the loading dock...
"The phonograph† is not of any commercial value."
Thomas Alva Edison - Comment to his assistant, Samuel Insull.

"No one needs a Victrola XX, a Perfected Graphophone Type G, or whatever you call those noisy things."
My Wife

CarlosV
Victor IV

Post by CarlosV »

Teak wrote:TNT officially lost the gramophone during shipping. UNBELIEVABLE :shock: :(
I recommend that you file a complaint towards TNT. It is not credible that a parcel of this volume can be lost especially in such short trip.