1902 PHÉNIX Phonograph

Post links to auctions and classifieds here
EdisonWizard
Victor III

1902 PHÉNIX Phonograph

Post by EdisonWizard »

https://www.ebay.com/itm/253131916510

Pretty cool little machine. Wouldn’t mind having it if it wasn’t for the price :)
J.F.

melvind
Victor IV

Re: 1902 PHÉNIX Phonograph

Post by melvind »

pic for future...

TinfoilPhono
Victor IV

Post by TinfoilPhono »

These were made to play only Phénix cylinders, which were slightly smaller in diameter than the Salon cylinders shown with that machine. The seller shows an interesting workaround, putting a sheet of cardboard around the mandrel to enlarge it enough to hold a Salon cylinder. There actually were slip-on adapters made at the time which served the purpose much better, but they are rare today.

Years ago while visiting Paris I stopped in at the store of the legendary Mme. Stéger, north of the flea market in St. Ouen. She just happened to have bought a giant stash of Phénix cylinders, in immaculate condition (they're brown wax), and which she priced ridiculously cheap. I was frustrated that I could only carry a few home (one of which didn't survive, alas).

I have a much cheaper version of the Phénix phonograph but it has no feedscrew and is a bit of a pain to play. I'd love to have the auction one, but not at the price.
Attachments
phenix.jpg

EdisonWizard
Victor III

Post by EdisonWizard »

I thought I saw in one of the pics that there was a slip on mandrel to the side.
J.F.

Curt A
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Needle Tins are Addictive

Post by Curt A »

EdisonWizard wrote:I thought I saw in one of the pics that there was a slip on mandrel to the side.
You might be thinking of this... which is the original horn container... there is no mandrel sleeve shown.
Attachments
s-l1600-87.jpg
"The phonograph† is not of any commercial value."
Thomas Alva Edison - Comment to his assistant, Samuel Insull.

"No one needs a Victrola XX, a Perfected Graphophone Type G, or whatever you call those noisy things."
My Wife

EdisonWizard
Victor III

Post by EdisonWizard »

Curt A wrote:
EdisonWizard wrote:I thought I saw in one of the pics that there was a slip on mandrel to the side.
You might be thinking of this... which is the original horn container... there is no mandrel sleeve shown.
my apologies! you're correct, I was thinking of another phono I saw on ebay earlier. ill post a link...I think it had one.

http://r.ebay.com/72RTvM
J.F.

TinfoilPhono
Victor IV

Post by TinfoilPhono »

That one is a slip on mandrel, but it's to go from regular cylinders to Salon-size. Similar to the AB Columbia with a slip on mandrel to go from regular to Concert/Grand.

GeorgeDixon
Victor I

Post by GeorgeDixon »

melvind wrote:pic for future...
This is the second and more rare version of the Phenix.
I have seen less than 5-6 in the last 20 years.

This is the best example I have seen, especially with the horn case and red label.

Ben

GeorgeDixon
Victor I

Post by GeorgeDixon »

GeorgeDixon wrote:
melvind wrote:pic for future...
This is the second and more rare version of the Phenix.
I have seen less than 5-6 in the last 20 years.

This is the best example I have seen, especially with the horn case and red label.

Ben
**Update. Since my initial post I discussed this machine with a major European collector.
He has concerns with the red labeling not being original, as well as the horn case.
The crank is also not correct.