What Kind of Reproducer

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
travisgreyfox
Victor IV

What Kind of Reproducer

Post by travisgreyfox »

What kind of reproducer is this thing? I found it on my Victrola VI-a. Doing a quick search I have seen the VI's with Exhibition reproducers and No. 2s. Which one is correct for a 1917 model? Also there is no thumb screw but a flat-head screw, is this type of reproducer suppose to have a thumb style one?

A lot of questions, but any insight would be great! Thanks

Travis
Attachments
IMAG0694.jpg
IMAG0693.jpg
IMAG0691.jpg

Lucius1958
Victor VI

Re: What Kind of Reproducer

Post by Lucius1958 »

This reproducer looks to be late '20s at least: certainly not original. The flat head screw is definitely not correct for anything: it would have had a proper thumbscrew.

I don't think the Victrola #2 had been introduced yet in 1917; so I think an Exhibition would be correct. However, many owners upgraded to the #2 when it became available.

Bill

OrthoFan
Victor V

Post by OrthoFan »

That's similar to the types of sound boxes fitted to portables made from the late 1930s onward, such as this Birch portable --
maxresdefault.jpg
According to the Victor Data Book, by Robert Baumbach, the VV-VIa was factory-fitted with the Exhibition sound box--as were all VV-VI models--but as Lucius notes, Victrola owners could opt to upgrade to the #2 sound box.

OrthoFan

AZ*
Victor IV

Post by AZ* »

Just a typical soundbox found on a cheap portable.
Best regards ... AZ*

travisgreyfox
Victor IV

Post by travisgreyfox »

Thanks for all of the information! Guess I have to eventually buy ANOTHER reproducer :|

OrthoFan
Victor V

Post by OrthoFan »

travisgreyfox wrote:Thanks for all of the information! Guess I have to eventually buy ANOTHER reproducer :|

You can probably find a reasonably priced, nickel-plated, rebuilt Exhibition sound box by posting a "Wanted Ad" in this forum's Yankee Trader forum. (An as-found Exhibition sound box with frozen gaskets and a hardened back flange will chew up records like nobody's business, so rebuilding it is mandatory.)

As for the sound box that came with your VV-VI, you can probably sell that in Yankee Trader to someone with a Birch, or other brand portable that's missing its sound box.

OF