Playing Our Machines & Records Outside - What Do You Do?

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
FellowCollector
Victor IV

Playing Our Machines & Records Outside - What Do You Do?

Post by FellowCollector »

On nice sunny days I'm often tempted to bring one (or more) of my phonographs and a selection of records outside of our home to indulge in the pleasure of listening under natural light.

But, as with surely many of us here on the Forum, we have neighbors that are close enough to be within audible distance. So if my wife is home and catches me carrying out a machine and some records I usually hear: "You're NOT going to PLAY that out there are you? I don't think any neighbors would appreciate listening to that stuff...and that one plays REAL LOUD.". But I take everything outside anyway and carefully place a heavy sock inside the horn so I can barely hear it which removes much of the enjoyment I had hoped to indulge in.

I'm curious if any of you who have neighbors within audible distance share similar feelings about taking your machines and records outside to actually play end enjoy the freedom of listening in the fresh air and sunshine.

Lately I find myself talking with my wife about moving out to the country (which is the type of environment I grew up in). It was GREAT living in a rural setting where we could do almost anything outside with little concern about neighbors. But alas, good paying corporate employment after college degrees and reduced windshield driving time beckoned to life with neighbors who could care less about old music. So all of that peaceful country living went out the window.

Am I alone with my wife's (and my own) concerns about playing my phonographs and records outside? If I were to switch places and become a neighbor who doesn't care to occasionally hear REALLY old recordings being played I suppose it would become an annoyance. So do any of you feel similarly about playing your old records outside at your home?

Doug

Curt A
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Needle Tins are Addictive

Re: Playing Our Machines & Records Outside - What Do You Do?

Post by Curt A »

We have always lived in suburban neighborhoods with nearby neighbors... I haven't done this recently, since we moved, but in our last neighborhood I would occasionally take a horn machine out on the driveway, set it on a table and play some records (no sock). My wife voiced the same concerns as yours, but I was pleasantly surprised with the response from at least several neighbors. Most commented on the machine and seemed somewhat interested in it, but I was told by 2 or 3 that they actually enjoyed hearing the old music... So who knows? The kids seemed fascinated with the technology and most had never known of shellac records or cylinders.

I'm going to try it in my new neighborhood, since my neighbors seem to think that we all like to hear country music when they are out in their garages or up at the pool...
"The phonograph† is not of any commercial value."
Thomas Alva Edison - Comment to his assistant, Samuel Insull.

"No one needs a Victrola XX, a Perfected Graphophone Type G, or whatever you call those noisy things."
My Wife

FellowCollector
Victor IV

Curt A wrote:We have always lived in suburban neighborhoods with nearby neighbors... I haven't done this recently, since we moved, but in our last neighborhood I would occasionally take a horn machine out on the driveway, set it on a table and play some records (no sock). My wife voiced the same concerns as yours, but I was pleasantly surprised with the response from at least several neighbors. Most commented on the machine and seemed somewhat interested in it, but I was told by 2 or 3 that they actually enjoyed hearing the old music... So who knows? The kids seemed fascinated with the technology and most had never known of shellac records or cylinders.

I'm going to try it in my new neighborhood, since my neighbors seem to think that we all like to hear country music when they are out in their garages or up at the pool...
Thanks for the comments, Curt. It's funny that you mention in your last comment about country music played outside by neighbors when they're using their pool. That is exactly what our newly moved-in neighbors are playing on their pool radio. I've actually had to walk over and ask if they would kindly turn it down a little. Again...a little more fodder for my wife and I to consider seeking green pastures. But I don't think she'll go for it. She's a shopper. :cry:

Doug

Steve Levi
Victor II

Post by Steve Levi »

I do not play machines outside, not that I wouldn't, I just enjoy indoors. I have plenty of neighbors who occassionally play the full spectrum of listening preferences. When they get a little loud, there are a couple of neighbors who will make their displeasure known. I just listen to my pleasure or displeasure in silence. I can't see playing an acoustic machine to be a big deal outside unless the neighbors just didn't care for the old music. We all have different tastes. I feel one has to be somewhat tolerable in a suburban setting. Just my 3¢.

epigramophone
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: An analogue relic trapped in a digital world.

Post by epigramophone »

I live in a village where my hobby is well known and encouraged. I have given demonstrations to local groups and taken part in events commemorating both World Wars. Next month I will be involved with an exhibition about the former air base near the village which accommodated over 2000 USAAF personnel during WW2, with 76 C47 Dakotas and over 100 gliders carrying out exercises in preparation for D-Day. Irving Berlin, Joe Louis and Glenn Miller all visited here to entertain the troops.

The neighbours don't mind if they hear the sound of a gramophone in the garden or coming from an open window. It's just the old chap next door who collects gramophones and records...... ;)

Most of my outdoor playing takes place at car shows, where a few well chosen jazz and dance band records add to the atmosphere.
Attachments
Thornfalcon 2012 005.JPG

dutchman
Victor IV

Post by dutchman »

I lived/worked abroad for 19 or so years with the Govt. During a 4 year stint in West Africa (Monrovia) during the mid 70's, losing power was a routine event, sometimes for weeks. While living in West Pakistan a friend gave me a crappophone and it sure came in handy, the machine and horn were really beat up, but believe me even though the Hieneken beer was warm, the music coming out of the horn on the front porch every now and then sure sounded good. :lol:

Bill K

AZ*
Victor IV

Post by AZ* »

Quite simply, I don't do it. Everyone's musical tastes are different. I don't enjoy sitting in traffic listening to rap blaring from some bozo's car in the next lane, nor do I enjoy the selections I am subjected to in most restaurants and stores. So I would not want to annoy my neighbors either.

My 2c.
Best regards ... AZ*

JimN
Victor I

Post by JimN »

I'm with AZ. I do not like hearing other people's music (such as rap) either at home or in a car, and would never subject others to my music. My house is very non-soundproof, so that I can clearly hear outside noise from inside my house, sometimes including loud talking.

billybob62
Victor III

Post by billybob62 »

Some people in Seattle want to build a new arena or stadium which would have a multi purpose usage one of which a Seahawk football player commented would be a venue for "World Class Music".
I am afraid to imagine what that would be.
The barbarians are at our gates !! :cry:

FellowCollector
Victor IV

I don't think anyone, myself included, would feel comfortable playing a phonograph outside if it was presumed or recognized that it would be a nuisance to others. My thought on this was to solicit comments from others who might occasionally want to enjoy playing a phonograph at home without the confinement of four (or more) walls. Most of the time the enjoyment of listening to records being played at home is an 'inside' experience for sure. But when it's nice outside it's tempting to experience the same enjoyment in fresh air and sunshine. I was simply curious to hear from others with a similar temptation if the opportunity or urge presents itself.