Brunswick Panatrope S31

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
markiemark
Victor O

Brunswick Panatrope S31

Post by markiemark »

Have one of these delightful beasts, still goes. Last serviced in the 1950's. Solid piece of furniture otherwise, simply delightful cabinetry work. Need to make contact with those in the know, who have worked on pre 1930 radio of this nature, TRF? May need parts too.I would say probably does need parts. Still works, a bit mickey mousy to keep the thing going. Love, to polish the cabinet on mine. Had it for 30 years now. Will be attending Union. Cheers Markie Mark in little old New Zealand.
Attachments
Photo-1-1929-Brunswick-Panatrope-with-Radio.jpg

Uncle Vanya
Victor IV

Re: Brunswick Panatrope S31

Post by Uncle Vanya »

Yes, the set is a TRF. The tuning condenser plates in these radios are set in unstable pot metal, which often causes problems. This set was available in two versions, the Neutrodyne Model 31, which used UY-227 triodes for the RF stages, and your model S-31 which uses the UY-224 Screen Grid tubes. Both models use identical tuning condenser, as do several straight radio sets.

Groundhog74
Victor Jr

Post by Groundhog74 »

I own the S-31 as well. Bought mine in Kendallville Indiana for 50 bucks in excellent condition. Missing only the "ballast tube". I did get it to work, kind of, but have yet to restore it. It's one I will always keep. Beautiful machines.

ketron281989
Victor O
Personal Text: "Quality Seen & Heard"

Post by ketron281989 »

Nice Panatrope!

In regards to servicing: If the set was last serviced in the 1950's I would recommend to power down, replace all capacitors and any out of tolerance resistors before playing again. Utilizing original/50+ year old capacitors have likely caused issues to develop within the set. You run the risk of damaging the power transformer running original caps, a costly repair to have the power transformer rewound. As capacitors age and moisture starts to penetrate, the capacitors start to leak DC into the circuit. In time this can be detrimental to critical components within the circuit. A rebuild of the radio/amp and perhaps the electromagnetic pickup would get your gal back in shape for safe quality enjoyment. The induction motor could also benefit from a good servicing as well, induction type do not require much in terms of servicing. Too bad we don't live closer as I specialize in these type of combination machines as well as tuner/AMP circuits. I would imagine electrically pressed records sound quite good on your machine!

Jon
Capehart

"The finest in music plus radio entertainment"