Introduction and completed RCA RAE-59 restoration

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
ketron281989
Victor O
Personal Text: "Quality Seen & Heard"

Introduction and completed RCA RAE-59 restoration

Post by ketron281989 »

Hello all,

I am new to the forum. Wanted to say hi and introduce myself. I am a seasoned collector of early pre-WWII records and electric phonograph machines. I also have a major interest in collecting and restoring fine high end radio's. I understand this forum is mainly devoted to wind up machines which are great as well. I used to have a few myself. After lurking here on the forum for quite sometime I have noticed there are quite a few here that are also into electric machines.

On top of a small introduction, I wanted to kick off with a recent restoration I finished. Detailed below is a circa 1931 RCA Radiola Automatic Electrola model 59. Priced at $600.00 brand new, this unit was RCA's third from the top of the line machine offered by the company during the 1931 model year. This model features an automatic phonograph changer, Superheterodyne receiver, and separate power amp utilizing push pull #47 output tubes. The phonograph compartment reveals RCA's third changer design. This innovative model can continuously play up to 10 or 12 records, 78 RPM and early 33 ½ RPM. Playing only one side of each until the user flipped them over, the machine would automatically start the record and eject it on top of the stack once the record cycle is completed. This unit can also produce electrical recording's via special blank pre-cut records, recording weight for pickup, and special recording needle. This set retains it's original wood finish, the electromagnetic pick-up head has been rebuilt. The unit sounds great!

A video I posted on youtube of this unit playing: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d4XApSteMxo **3:37 starts the phonograph**

Jon
Attachments
1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg
4.jpg
5.jpg
6.jpg
7.jpg
8.jpg
9.jpg
Capehart

"The finest in music plus radio entertainment"

Hit of the Week
Victor I

Re: Introduction and completed RCA RAE-59 restoration

Post by Hit of the Week »

That is a stunning machine.........Thank's for posting it!!

Iowa Dale

travisgreyfox
Victor IV

Post by travisgreyfox »

Hit of the Week wrote:That is a stunning machine.........Thank's for posting it!!

Iowa Dale

I second that. :shock:

barnettrp21122
Victor IV
Personal Text: "Did you ever stop to think that pleasure is a duty?" (Victor sales pamphlet)

Post by barnettrp21122 »

What a wonderful job you've done with this! You should be very proud!
Welcome to the forum, and I look forward to seeing your future restorations.
Bob
"Comparison is the thief of joy" Theodore Roosevelt

His Master's Voice Automatic 1A Exponential Gramophone Demonstration:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qi70G1Rzqpo

audiophile102
Victor IV
Personal Text: Say to yourself I am so happy hurray!

Post by audiophile102 »

Your RCA RAE-59 restoration looks stunning. The mechanics look very complex, but the beauty of the cabinet is what makes it worth the effort. I own an antique radio which I would like to restore, but I'm having trouble finding anyone in my part of the country who will do it. I have seen where radio guys have figured out how to stream internet radio stations through their antique radios. If my radio could stream radio dismuke, https://tunein.com/radio/Radio-Dismuke-s54028/ I would have it tuned in every day. The administrator of this forum should consider adding phonograph/radio combination machines as a new sub-category. Thanks for posting and welcome to the forum.
"You can't take the phonographs nor the money with you, but the contentment the phonographs bring may well make your life better, and happier lives make the world a better place."

Steve Levi
Victor II

Post by Steve Levi »

IMPRESSIVE!!! Welcome! That is one fine talking machine. That back side shot looks like a space shuttle to me. Thank goodness there are people like you that breath the life back into machines like that. Very handsome cabinet and changer mechanism is a sight to behold. I bet it sounds wonderful and is fun to watch in operation. The mechanism is fascinating. Thanks for posting description and photos! Steve

gramophone-georg
Victor VI
Personal Text: Northwest Of Normal

Post by gramophone-georg »

Love it.

My grandparents bought one of these changers new in the 30s. Theirs was a two speed- 78 and 33. By the time I came along it was in their basement, replaced in the living room by a Magnavox Concert Grand. The RA machine was fascinating to watch and I've always wanted one.

Congrats. :mrgreen:
"He who dies with the most shellac wins"- some nutty record geek

ketron281989
Victor O

Post by ketron281989 »

audiophile102 wrote:Your RCA RAE-59 restoration looks stunning. The mechanics look very complex, but the beauty of the cabinet is what makes it worth the effort. I own an antique radio which I would like to restore, but I'm having trouble finding anyone in my part of the country who will do it. I have seen where radio guys have figured out how to stream internet radio stations through their antique radios. If my radio could stream radio dismuke, https://tunein.com/radio/Radio-Dismuke-s54028/ I would have it tuned in every day. The administrator of this forum should consider adding phonograph/radio combination machines as a new sub-category. Thanks for posting and welcome to the forum.

Thank you. I have listened to Radio Dismuke many a time! They are a great station. I broadcast this internet station through my small solid state transmitter inside the house. The transmitter broadcasts low power through the house, tune in the radio and period music is received through the air waves just like it was back then. I do exactly what you have just described! What model radio do you need serviced? I can help you out if you ever are in need of a serviced tech!

Jon
Capehart

ketron281989
Victor O

Post by ketron281989 »

barnettrp21122 wrote:What a wonderful job you've done with this! You should be very proud!
Welcome to the forum, and I look forward to seeing your future restorations.
Bob
Bob, thanks! I will be posting more restorations very soon. Plenty on the chopping block! I have seen your video of that 1935/1936 Capehart jukebox on your Youtube page. PLEASE TELL ME MORE! I'm in love with it!

Jon
Capehart

ketron281989
Victor O

Post by ketron281989 »

Steve Levi wrote:IMPRESSIVE!!! Welcome! That is one fine talking machine. That back side shot looks like a space shuttle to me. Thank goodness there are people like you that breath the life back into machines like that. Very handsome cabinet and changer mechanism is a sight to behold. I bet it sounds wonderful and is fun to watch in operation. The mechanism is fascinating. Thanks for posting description and photos! Steve

Thank you Steve. I posted a link to a video I took of the unit in action if you are interested in seeing the mech. in operation. Thank you for the comments. These large complex units are a great challenge. It is nice to see several have survived after all these years.

Jon
Capehart