Playing Our Machines & Records Outside - What Do You Do?

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
tomb
Victor IV

Re: Playing Our Machines & Records Outside - What Do You Do?

Post by tomb »

I am curious if you switch from a larger horn to a smaller horn would that somewhat stifle the sound so it can be played outside ??. If it is a portable can something be added to lessen the volume. I purchased a RCA Victor model 0-19 and noticed it had a built in volume control below the tone arm. If you want full volume then you may get complaints. It is what was said above about the loud pool music and someone had to remind them to tone it down but it still was played at a lower volume. Tom B

Phonofreak
Victor VI

Post by Phonofreak »

It has been a while since I played a phonograph out side. The reason is security. A potential thief can see and hear the phonograph play. There has been a rash of thefts in my area, and I do not want to entice these types. Unfortunately, that's sad that we have to be so security conscious.
Harvey Kravitz

Curt A
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Needle Tins are Addictive

Post by Curt A »

I think it would be a rare occurrence for a thief to steal a phonograph... although I'm sure it happens. I guess a phonograph addict might need a fix when he runs out of money... :lol: Most druggies are looking for something that they can sell quick like electronics or cell phones...
"The phonograph† is not of any commercial value."
Thomas Alva Edison - Comment to his assistant, Samuel Insull.

"No one needs a Victrola XX, a Perfected Graphophone Type G, or whatever you call those noisy things."
My Wife

Phonofreak
Victor VI

Post by Phonofreak »

A few years ago, I did have a phonograph stolen from my porch. It was a basket case Columbia AH. I was cleaning off the crud and left it outside so it wouldn't stink up the house. The next day, it was gone. It didn't even run, and the veneer was peeling. These little scumbags will steal anything if they can get a quick buck. I did a police report and searched ebay, craigslist, pawnshops, and all the antique stores in the area. No luck, but if I ever this this machine, I will do whatever it takes to get it back. Fortunately, I have my documentation and police report. I didn't mean to side track this thread.
Harvey Kravitz

startgroove
Victor III

Post by startgroove »

Listening to an acoustic phonograph outside is a different experience from listening inside. The lack of reflective surfaces nearby changes the sound, reducing echo and harshness. I think it is a very pleasant way to listen, and it causes a change in atmosphere which can lend to the positiveness of the experience.
On occasion, we gather up a portable, and a handful of records, and go off on a picnic. In places where there are other people nearby, it tends to garner positive attention, starts many a conversation and we have made a few friends that way. Amazingly, no one yet has been offended by us doing that.
Sometimes we find a secluded spot, and enjoy the music alone. There is a little inconvenience of having to crank regularly to enjoy constant music. Yet, it is very relaxing for us, and we find the experience to be something we will do again, on occasion.
I think back to a decade ago. We were on a trip down to the Rose Bowl Flea Market in Pasadena, California. After an hour of walking around, I heard the distinct sound of an Orthophonic recording. Following the music, my ears brought me to a vendor who was playing that era of records on an old electric record changer, 1950's vintage. She was an eccentric character in a few other ways, and a talker. To me, it was a pleasant interlude to the normal flea market activity. The items she was selling had nothing to do with collectibles at all. She told me she just liked that style of music, and many people who came by complimented her on her tastes. In that case, the music had created the atmosphere.

Lucius1958
Victor VI

Post by Lucius1958 »

I once used my Amberola 30 in an outdoor production of Much Ado About Nothing: it went over very well.

Bill

HisMastersVoice
Auxetophone

Post by HisMastersVoice »

I take my Victor III out on the front porch during the summer whenever it pleases me to do so. The volume is not much different than playing them with all of the windows open. People on walks often pause in front of my house and listen for a moment, either with a smile or a look of confusion. I've never had any negative response from a neighbor or otherwise.

vansteem78
Victor II

Post by vansteem78 »

I have no problem playing my music out in our courtyard, downtown park or on my balcony. Compared to the boom boom music I hear constantly my music contributes hardly any noise. The "music" I hear is all bass and vibrates my glass windows and walls. Often it sounds like it is inside my condo. So my paltry noise is nothing and it cannot be heard blocks away like most modern electronic stuff. Plus I play it at a reasonable hour unopposed to most of my neighbors. I often have to close my windows to hide from the city noise and yet you can still hear it. My music cannot be heard through closed windows so I do it. Most folks are attracted to my noise as opposed to running from it.

Joe Busam
Victor Jr
Personal Text: Victor V

Post by Joe Busam »

I've been playing my phonographs for quite a while out on our deck during the spring and summer months. We live in a Townehouse with neighbors very close by and there has never been a complaint. In fact I've gotten a few compliments. I always try to be respectful and keep the volume low and not play at night or early morning. It's generally reserved for late afternoon listening on Saturday's and Sunday's.
Attachments
20170625_164257.jpg

SteveM
Victor II

Post by SteveM »

I recently played a couple outdoor gigs. Loud needles, yay! Just yesterday for an art show ...

And at a buddy's yard sale during a town festival ...

People LOVE stumbling upon this stuff out in public. I'm always surprised by how emotional they get.

For home use outside, I tend to use bamboo.
“The cup of tea on arrival at a country house is a thing which, as a rule, I particularly enjoy. I like the crackling logs, the shaded lights, the scent of buttered toast, the general atmosphere of leisured cosiness.”

P. G. Wodehouse