Playing Our Machines & Records Outside - What Do You Do?

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
Valecnik
Victor VI
Personal Text: Edison Records - Close your eyes and see if the artist does not actually seem to be before you.

Re: Playing Our Machines & Records Outside - What Do You Do?

Post by Valecnik »

We normally use a somewhat portable model, like a Fireside as pictured here a few years back.
Attachments
Fireside Concert.jpg
Fireside Concert.jpg (83.21 KiB) Viewed 946 times

New Yorker
Victor Jr

Post by New Yorker »

vansteem78 wrote:I have no problem playing my music out in our courtyard, downtown park or on my balcony. Compared to the boom boom music I hear constantly my music contributes hardly any noise. The "music" I hear is all bass and vibrates my glass windows and walls. Often it sounds like it is inside my condo. So my paltry noise is nothing and it cannot be heard blocks away like most modern electronic stuff. Plus I play it at a reasonable hour unopposed to most of my neighbors. I often have to close my windows to hide from the city noise and yet you can still hear it. My music cannot be heard through closed windows so I do it. Most folks are attracted to my noise as opposed to running from it.
My thoughts exactly. I could've written this myself.

Torjazzer
Victor II

Post by Torjazzer »

Of course! The great outdoors is the only place I can fully enjoy my hobbies.
Attachments
20170610_181849_HDR(1).jpg

larryh
Victor IV

Post by larryh »

I moved to the country 31 years ago. My small farm home has two porches. Sometimes I take some classical pieces such as piano, violin, quartets out for a bit of summer enjoyment. My nearest neighbor is about a block a way. But funny thing about the country, sound travels much easier due to the open spaces I am guessing. Sometimes I can easily here the neighbors radio he plays outside so I assume he can hear mine. It didn't use to matter because the homes original owner who passed away a few years ago had air and was inside when I was outside since I don't have any. But the new people like to sit out in the yard in the afternoon and evening so I am more touchy about playing my portables with anything that might be too loud. I also enjoy taking my cassette bose into the porches and listen to old radio shows in the cool of the evening.

I have a couple videos of my Brunswick playing outdoors in settings I found interesting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fn2m9Oc5XLI (Fish pond)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LxGDTF1gCms (Butterfly Bush)

Larry

Joe Busam
Victor Jr
Personal Text: Victor V

Post by Joe Busam »

Torjazzer wrote:Of course! The great outdoors is the only place I can fully enjoy my hobbies.
Same here. I don't smoke cigars very often but I do like to relax with some tunes an an adult beverage. Here I am with my Victor M and some Bombay Sapphire on the rocks.
Attachments
onthedeck.jpg

startgroove
Victor III

Post by startgroove »

Larry,
Great videos! I'm sure those "tunes" would not bother me if I were your neighbor!

Torjazzer
Victor II

Post by Torjazzer »

Joe Busam wrote:
Torjazzer wrote:Of course! The great outdoors is the only place I can fully enjoy my hobbies.
Same here. I don't smoke cigars very often but I do like to relax with some tunes an an adult beverage. Here I am with my Victor M and some Bombay Sapphire on the rocks.
You and I would make great neighbours. A G&T in the glass, a G&T on the gramophone! Enjoy the rest of the summer, friend.

Skihawx
Victor III

Post by Skihawx »

I like to wheel the VV 8-7 out on the deck and play music for my own enjoyment and entertain all the animals. I have been working too much on the roof to enjoy much of the summer. I have only wheeled it out a couple of times this year.

Retrograde
Victor III

Post by Retrograde »

I generally don't play my machines outside. I have played them outside when I've just gotten them cleaned up and ready to go in the house after a purchase or a servicing. On occasion I have played a stack of records outside on my HMV 102 while sipping an adult beverage, but not all that often.

I do however have speakers set up on my deck that are connected to the stereo and computer inside. I play various genres of music over the speakers. I live in a typical American suburban tract home subdivision. All my neighbors are pretty quiet and few of them spend much time outside so I don't think my music bothers them.

When I step away the to the far reaches of my ⅓ acre corner lot, I can barely hear the speakers. The vintage machines do make a lot more sound though. I don't think I'd take a machine to a public place or park and start playing records in a random act.

Skihawx
Victor III

Post by Skihawx »

Skihawx wrote:I like to wheel the VV 8-7 out on the deck and play music for my own enjoyment and entertain all the animals. I have been working too much on the roof to enjoy much of the summer. I have only wheeled it out a couple of times this year.
Attachments
VV 8-7 outside.JPG