Edison Triumph query

Share your phonograph repair & restoration techniques here
epigramophone
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: An analogue relic trapped in a digital world.

Edison Triumph query

Post by epigramophone »

I am mainly a collector of gramophones. The only cylinder machines I have owned have been an Amberola 30 and currently a 50.

I may soon have the opportunity to purchase a Triumph Model A which has all the later modifications i.e. 2 and 4 minute gearing, large carrier arm, Diamond reproducer and 11 panel Cygnet horn.

As the horn has to be removed in order to fit the lid, how do owners display their machines when not in use? The lid is necessary to keep dust off the mechanism, but what do you do with the disconnected horn?

Jerry B.
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Stop for a visit when in Oregon.

Re: Edison Triumph query

Post by Jerry B. »

Most of us display our cylinder machines without the lid on the machine. My lids are hung on the underside of my shelving. They are also tagged to identify which particular machine they belong. If there is space you might place the lid behind the rest of the outfit. With some machines, like a suitcase Home, much of the interest is the lid with its big banner decal. I leave the lids on some machine like that.

It's interesting that some lids that have gone through time with the rest of the machine don't exactly match the rest of the cabinet. I imagine that original owners kept lids in the closet or away from the machine like modern collectors.

I hope you acquire the early Triumph with Cygnet horn. It is a fine example of a two minute machine that was much loved by its original owner and upgraded with the best upgrades when they were introduced and made available for Edison owners.

Jerry Blais

Valecnik
Victor VI
Personal Text: Edison Records - Close your eyes and see if the artist does not actually seem to be before you.

Post by Valecnik »

If you want to leave the lid on the machine, that is also not a problem. The lid can remain on the machine and the horn can remain suspended from the crane, mounted on the back of the machine. The rubber connector on the bottom of the horn will prevent the horn from scratching the lid as they bump together.

epigramophone
Victor Monarch Special

Post by epigramophone »

Thank you gentlemen. If the deal takes place the Forum will be the first to know.

emgcr
Victor IV

Post by emgcr »

Here is my Triumph Model E with everything attached in "stand-by" mode ! The horn can be swung aside quite easily to remove the lid. Greatly hope you are successful.............
Attachments
002.JPG

epigramophone
Victor Monarch Special

Post by epigramophone »

Thank you Graham. I have seen your Triumph sitting there many times, but next time I will pay closer attention to it!

Roger.

EdisonWizard
Victor III

Post by EdisonWizard »

Valecnik wrote:If you want to leave the lid on the machine, that is also not a problem. The lid can remain on the machine and the horn can remain suspended from the crane, mounted on the back of the machine. The rubber connector on the bottom of the horn will prevent the horn from scratching the lid as they bump together.
this is exactly what I do with all my machines, minus the gems of course. I HATE dust....and I don't have the time to constantly dust all my machines...I like them clean! With my MG's I just leave them on the crane...kinda turn the chain then hang the horn so it doesn't spin.

the cygnets I just have the rubber connector sit on the front of the machine.
J.F.

epigramophone
Victor Monarch Special

Post by epigramophone »

I collected the Model A yesterday and set it up this morning. The sound quality is impressive.

The Serial Number is 30360. Is it possible to date the machine from this?

emgcr
Victor IV

Post by emgcr »

Congratulations Roger and I am sure it will give you many hours of happiness.

Mine has a Serial Number 84737 and the patents mentioned go up to 22nd May 1906 so presumably that would more or less define the date ?

Lucius1958
Victor VI

Post by Lucius1958 »

epigramophone wrote:I collected the Model A yesterday and set it up this morning. The sound quality is impressive.

The Serial Number is 30360. Is it possible to date the machine from this?
I believe phonogfp has access to a list of factory release dates.

Bill