Regina Help!!

Share your phonograph repair & restoration techniques here
Hailey
Victor III

Regina Help!!

Post by Hailey »

I have a Regina that evidently needs some governor adjustment. It will not start when the lever is moved to the start position. Once you tap the governor wing to move, it will run. The governor just seems tight. The entire mechanism was restored a few years ago, and everything else seems perfect. It is always quite humid in the house in the summer time, but it does this same thing even in the dry heat of the winter.
Do you have any suggestions??
Thanks so much,

Hailey

JerryVan
Victor Monarch Special

Re: Regina Help!!

Post by JerryVan »

Hailey,

Unlike phonographs, music boxes don't have a lot of starting torque on their governors, so any little resistance stalls them. Your problem is common. Can be caused by several different things.

- Most common. The end of the governor shaft that runs against the jewel, (or hard piece of steel), is supposed to be spherical in shape. After 100 or more years, the end wears flat, so that there is no longer that tiny, frictionless, point of contact, but instead, a flat end that causes just enough friction to stall the governor. You can CAREFULLY spin the governor shaft in a lathe, while dressing the shaft end back to a spherical shape with a hard oil stone. You want a mirror finish when done.

- Related to the above, the jewel face, (or hard steel face), on the thrust end, can get a small concavity worn into it from the continual rotation of the governor shaft. The result is the same as above. The jewel can sometimes be adjusted to move a new, fresh spot in contact with the shaft. However, redressing the shaft alone, as above, will probably suffice.

- The worm can get worn or scored, due to lack of lubrication. This also produces drag. Short of replacing the governor shaft/worm, about the only thing you can do to it, is to polish the worm surface with jeweler's rouge using a small buffing wheel. Bring the finish to a mirror-like state. Use extreme caution with a buffing wheel, as things can go wrong in a flash!

- The oil you're using is too heavy/viscous, and drags the shaft down. Or, you have no lube at all... Or, the shaft is filthy and gooed up with old oil/gunk.

Curt A
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Needle Tins are Addictive

Post by Curt A »

One more thing to add to Jerry's ideas... I had a Regina with this problem and could not find the cause. After checking everything else, I removed the jewel from the end of the governor... someone had installed it upside down. The half round side goes toward the governor shaft...
"The phonograph† is not of any commercial value."
Thomas Alva Edison - Comment to his assistant, Samuel Insull.

"No one needs a Victrola XX, a Perfected Graphophone Type G, or whatever you call those noisy things."
My Wife

JerryVan
Victor Monarch Special

Post by JerryVan »

Curt A wrote:The half round side goes toward the governor shaft...

Curt,

Unless I misunderstand you, then no, it doesn't. The flat side goes against the governor shaft.

JerryVan
Victor Monarch Special

Post by JerryVan »

Hailey,

Was any of this helpful to you??

phonojim
Victor IV

Post by phonojim »

Jerry, what type of oil do you recommend? I have many different oils, including clock and watch oils. Would the governor worm require a heavier lubricant than the shaft ends? It runs well, but I have had it for 17 years and never done anything with it except to play a couple of discs occasionally.

Thanks, Jim

JerryVan
Victor Monarch Special

Post by JerryVan »

Hi Jim,

I use some DuPont Krytox synthetic oil, given to me by a fellow forum member many years ago. It's very thin and works very well. I would say that a thin clock or watch oil would be o.k., as you suggest.

wjw
Victor II

Post by wjw »

I have a cylinder music box with a cracked jeweled governor bearing. Nothing but a drop of automatic transmission fluid will make it go. Gotta call Nancy Fratti one of these days and get a new bearing.
- bill