FOR SALE/ TRADE: Edison 2/4 Standard In Period Console $850.

Buy, sell, or trade your phonograph-related items here [except music]
gramophone-georg
Victor VI
Personal Text: Northwest Of Normal

FOR SALE/ TRADE: Edison 2/4 Standard In Period Console $850.

Post by gramophone-georg »

After much reflection, I've decided to pass on all my cylinders and cylinder machines to other collectors in order to concentrate on discs.

My first offering is this nicely done and definitely "period" Edison 2/4 minute machine in a custom "consolette" cabinet with lots of accessories. I don't know who made the cabinet, but the cabinet and conversion are obviously professionally executed, and old, as the large horn crane that comes with it has much nicer finish on the section that fits down into the cabinet indicating that the crane and cabinet have been together a very long time. The cabinet is a very nice oak- even the caster wheels are turned oak.

The 2/4 minute machine, while in need of cleaning, runs and plays well and even has most bedplate striping intact.

The main issues with the cabinet are that the two top boards have pulled away from each other over time (see pics) and the finish is heavily alligatored on top. The split could be reglued if the top were removed and the finish could likely be reamalgamated.I would be willing to do this for a nominal charge if requested.

It appears that ONE of the 4 drawers was drilled for cylinder pegs at one time but there is no evidence these were ever fitted.

The glass cover fits around the Standard bedplate like a glove.

This package comes with:
*Nice sounding C and H reproducers and an incorrect original B box
*ORIGINAL black/ brass witch's hat horn
*Large 31" all brass horn. It's far less dented than most, in really great condition overall. I'm sure John Duffy could make it a stunner- or keep the mellow patina. It's a Tea Tray Co. product according to George
*Original metal "Tiz-It" horn connector
*Original horn crane- Tea Tray Co.
*ORIGINAL but somewhat fragile and tattered HORN BAG FOR BRASS HORN! How often do you find these?

Review the pictures and feel free to ask questions. The machine is located in the Eugene, Oregon area, and is obviously going to be a real feat to ship. However, I'm willing to crate and ship at buyers expense,
-OR-

I'd be willing to hold it for up to a year and transport it north to Jerry B if you can make arrangements to pick it up at a show that the Jerry B Express will be visiting. Jerry's fees will be far more reasonable than crating and shipping, and the handling will be more careful, too!

I'm asking $1600 OBO for the setup with all the items listed. I'd be willing to consider a trade or part trade for a nice Victor III with petaled horn OR a rear mount Victor E.

I don't believe I've ever seen a custom cabinet model like this that was 2 and 4 minute.

Please note that everything seems original except the belt which is a black rubber type.

Also- Please pardon the dust! It didn't look that bad in person. :?
Attachments
edison console standard 009.jpg
edison console standard 008.jpg
edison console standard 007.jpg
edison console standard 006.jpg
edison console standard 005.jpg
edison console standard 004.jpg
edison console standard 003.jpg
edison console standard 002.jpg
edison console standard 001.jpg
Last edited by gramophone-georg on Thu Oct 05, 2017 2:26 pm, edited 6 times in total.
"He who dies with the most shellac wins"- some nutty record geek

Lucius1958
Victor VI

Re: FOR SALE/ TRADE: Edison 2/4 Standard In Period Console $

Post by Lucius1958 »

I believe H&S made custom cabinets for Phonographs and Graphophones: someone with access to their catalogs could tell whether this is one of theirs.

Bill

gramophone-georg
Victor VI

Lucius1958 wrote:I believe H&S made custom cabinets for Phonographs and Graphophones: someone with access to their catalogs could tell whether this is one of theirs.

Bill
Bill- I did some extensive Googling and while there are H&S cabinets similar to this one, there's nothing exact. To me it looks like it could be H&S but I'm not seeing this exact design anyplace, and more important, I'm not seeing any hardware like this. However, the fact that the horn and crane are H&S leads me to believe it might be... especially given the "patina pattern" on the horn crane that matches how it fits into the cabinet exactly. I think the glass lid is H&S or a damn good mimic.

But... if I cannot say for certain, I'd rather err on the side of caution.

If this design shows up in an old H&S catalog I'd sure like to know about it.

EDIT: Horn and crane has been positively ID'd as Tea Tray Company and NOT H&S.
Last edited by gramophone-georg on Fri Sep 22, 2017 5:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

gramophone-georg
Victor VI

The guy I got this from said that the machine originated in Ashland, Ohio. There was a Kaufmann Cabinet Company there that built cabinets that sort of resemble this style, but again, it's a wild ass guess.

phonogfp
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: "If you look for the bad in people expecting to find it, you surely will." - A. Lincoln

Post by phonogfp »

I've seen nothing like this cabinet in any Hawthorne & Sheble catalog or advertisement. Regarding the lid, H&S did not use brass corner reinforcements. I have an old tool chest with what looks to be those same reinforcements, so they're possibly off-the-shelf hardware items of the time.

The horn is a Tea Tray Company product.

It's an interesting cabinet, but not a H&S product.

George P.

gramophone-georg
Victor VI

phonogfp wrote:I've seen nothing like this cabinet in any Hawthorne & Sheble catalog or advertisement. Regarding the lid, H&S did not use brass corner reinforcements. I have an old tool chest with what looks to be those same reinforcements, so they're possibly off-the-shelf hardware items of the time.

The horn is a Tea Tray Company product.

It's an interesting cabinet, but not a H&S product.

George P.
Hi George: I didn't think so on H&S. Thanks for the Tea Tray Co. identification.I'm thinking the same thing about the drawer pulls- that they are period hardware co. supplies.

That said, this definitely isn't a home workshop piece. It's built far too well, although home craftsmen of that era had definite skills. This is why I was thinking Kauffman's.

gramophone-georg
Victor VI

New price- $1400 or offer. Need the room- Thanks!

gramophone-georg
Victor VI

New price $1300- Very motivated to sell. Thanks! I've had people wanting the witch's hat, the big brass horn, the reproducers, the horn bag... sorry, but I really think this needs to stay together.

Remember- I'm willing to hold as long as a year with payment at no extra charge and deliver to Jerry B also at no extra charge so it can get to any show the Jerry B Express is going to.

gramophone-georg
Victor VI

Another price drop to $1100. This is about the pricing floor although a reasonable close offer might persuade me as I'd like the room.

gramophone-georg
Victor VI

OK, so I lied. I do that a lot! :lol: $995.00, final reduction. For reals this time. If I didn't need the room I'd keep it. Find a recorder and make a studio console out of it!