VV XI double spring barrel disassembly

Share your phonograph repair & restoration techniques here
TheBeesKnees
Victor Jr

VV XI double spring barrel disassembly

Post by TheBeesKnees »

Hello!
I'm in the process of attempting to take apart the double spring barrel on on victrola VV XI to get to the springs in order to repair. I was wondering if anyone could guide me through taking the barrels apart to get to the springs. Thank you in advance!

Jerry B.
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Stop for a visit when in Oregon.

Re: VV XI double spring barrel disassembly

Post by Jerry B. »

The VV-XI was made for a long time and went through several different spring motors all of which were two spring motors. It would help us if you posted a photo of your motor. Congratulation on your XI. It has classic Victor Victrola good looks and quality.

Jerry Blais

TheBeesKnees
Victor Jr

Post by TheBeesKnees »

Jerry B. wrote:The VV-XI was made for a long time and went through several different spring motors all of which were two spring motors. It would help us if you posted a photo of your motor. Congratulation on your XI. It has classic Victor Victrola good looks and quality.

Jerry Blais

Good thinking!
I'll do that when I get home from work tonight!
And thank you!!!

TheBeesKnees
Victor Jr

Post by TheBeesKnees »

Here's a photo of it!
Attachments
IMG_0737.JPG

Henry
Victor V

Post by Henry »

Wow, looks like somebody went overboard with the grease! Maybe that's the source of the problem? Are you sure that you have a broken spring?

If that machine were mine, the first thing I'd do (after making sure that the motor springs are completely run down!) would be to remove the motor/motor board and give the metal parts a thorough de-greasing! I'd wipe off all the surface gunk with shop rags, paper towels, etc. Then I'd place the motor/motor board over layers of old newspaper (to catch the messy drips) and spray all the metal parts with a degreaser such as CRC electronic tuner cleaner, carburetor cleaner, or similar solvent from the hardware or automotive store, avoiding getting solvent on the top (finished wood) surface of the motor board. I'd wipe the works down again, spray more degreaser, wipe again, and repeat as needed until the old gunk is removed. I'd then re-install the motor board, wind up the motor, and see how it runs. It may or may not need adjustment and re-oiling. If it does, I'd come back to the forum for more info, if needed.

What is the serial number of your XI (first three digits will do)?

TheBeesKnees
Victor Jr

Post by TheBeesKnees »

Henry wrote:Wow, looks like somebody went overboard with the grease! Maybe that's the source of the problem? Are you sure that you have a broken spring?

If that machine were mine, the first thing I'd do (after making sure that the motor springs are completely run down!) would be to remove the motor/motor board and give the metal parts a thorough de-greasing! I'd wipe off all the surface gunk with shop rags, paper towels, etc. Then I'd place the motor/motor board over layers of old newspaper (to catch the messy drips) and spray all the metal parts with a degreaser such as CRC electronic tuner cleaner, carburetor cleaner, or similar solvent from the hardware or automotive store, avoiding getting solvent on the top (finished wood) surface of the motor board. I'd wipe the works down again, spray more degreaser, wipe again, and repeat as needed until the old gunk is removed. I'd then re-install the motor board, wind up the motor, and see how it runs. It may or may not need adjustment and re-oiling. If it does, I'd come back to the forum for more info, if needed.

What is the serial number of your XI (first three digits will do)?
Hello!
The first three numbers of the serial number is 210

Henry
Victor V

Post by Henry »

Your XI with that serial 210*** will have a letter "G" suffix, like mine (370***G) does. Your machine dates from 1916. Mine (1917) was one of the very last of the "G" series, which ended at 378000. See http://www.victor-victrola.com/XI.htm. As for the particular style of motor in ours, I defer to the more knowledgeable members to provide help in accessing the springs. I'd sure try the CLA (clean-lube-adjust) approach before taking things apart, unless you're real sure the springs need replacing. However, if it's as gunked up inside the barrels as it is on the outside, the springs may need to be flushed with degreaser and re-lubed; that would require a tear-down, I assume. I've never done this myself, but instead sent the motor/motor board assembly out to a repair service for cleaning.

If you could de-grease just the governor assembly gearing and end bearings, in place, and make sure it runs freely, that might help, too!

TheBeesKnees
Victor Jr

Post by TheBeesKnees »

Henry wrote:Your XI with that serial 210*** will have a letter "G" suffix, like mine (370***G) does. Your machine dates from 1916. Mine (1917) was one of the very last of the "G" series, which ended at 378000. See http://www.victor-victrola.com/XI.htm. As for the particular style of motor in ours, I defer to the more knowledgeable members to provide help in accessing the springs. I'd sure try the CLA (clean-lube-adjust) approach before taking things apart, unless you're real sure the springs need replacing. However, if it's as gunked up inside the barrels as it is on the outside, the springs may need to be flushed with degreaser and re-lubed; that would require a tear-down, I assume. I've never done this myself, but instead sent the motor/motor board assembly out to a repair service for cleaning.

If you could de-grease just the governor assembly gearing and end bearings, in place, and make sure it runs freely, that might help, too!
I did know this! Thank you though!
It works, and works alright. It's just that the springs are sticking together due to needing new grease and what not. The springs clunk as they wind down. I'm planning on doing it myself, just wanted to know if anyone on here had done one before for some pointers! Just rebuilt the reproducer a few days ago. Pretty easy and straight forward.
Thanks again!

Jerry B.
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Stop for a visit when in Oregon.

Post by Jerry B. »

PM sent

mlh2809
Victor Jr

Post by mlh2809 »

I am wondering how the disassembly, cleaning, and reassembly of the spring barrel went? I have a VV XI 45***, which I found dates back to 1913. The machine has been sitting in a dog pen inside of a garage for the past 15 year prior to my "inheriting" it this winter. It plays and sounds great, but knowing that it has been subjected to a dusty and hairy environment for the past 15 years or so I have been wanting to give it the proper cleaning and lube that it needs.

This past weekend I was able to disassemble everything except for the double spring barrel. First, I am curious if I need to disassemble and clean the springs? I would certainly feel more comfortable playing records on it knowing that I had properly cleaned and re-lubed. Second, I am looking for instructions on disassembling the spring barrel.

I appreciate any help!!