Edison Case Decal Restorations

Share your phonograph repair & restoration techniques here
patrick_l
Victor Jr

Edison Case Decal Restorations

Post by patrick_l »

Hi everybody

I would like to restore somewhat the wooden case of this phonograph Edison Home. Can you teach me how you do it?
Thank you very much for your valuable information.

PS, I will buy this phonograph in a few weeks. So that I have only one photo to present ... for now.
Attachments
edison home 005.jpg
edison home 005.jpg (119.03 KiB) Viewed 1662 times

martinola
Victor III

Re: Edison Case Decal Restorations

Post by martinola »

That's a nice machine. Other than a very gentle cleaning and possible waxing, I would not touch the decal or the finish. The damage to the "E" is quite minor. Anything but the most skilled touch-up will result in devaluing the machine far more than that little blemish. If you do decide to go ahead, please refer to Wyatt Marcus' excellent web pages dealing with restoring suitcase Home decals.

http://www.lagparty.org/~wyatt/phonoguy.html

Excellent results can be achieved, but it takes a lot of skill and patience. If you decide to go ahead; good luck. If on the other hand you screw it up, well, you won't be the first person to do that either. :mrgreen:

Regards,
Martin

travisgreyfox
Victor IV

Post by travisgreyfox »

The blemishes are part of her history now! The ages have spoken, so I say leave it be! I have found that most people regret the decision in the long-term anyway.

Enjoy your new machine.

Jerry B.
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Stop for a visit when in Oregon.

Post by Jerry B. »

I agree with the previous posts. It looks like a very nice long green Model A Home that just needs cleaning. If you use our search feature you'll find prior threads suggesting GoJo or Kotton Klenser. I've used both with excellent results. there are other threads offering basic suggestions for minor servicing. Congratulation on a good choice of machine.

Jerry Blais

JerryVan
Victor Monarch Special

Post by JerryVan »

Leave it alone. Nothing you do will put back original material that's now gone.