Machine stolen at Wayne NJ show 10/8/17

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
brianu
Victor V
Personal Text: on instagram as "oncedeadsound"

Machine stolen at Wayne NJ show 10/8/17

Post by brianu »

I brought a few things to Sunday's show that I had sold to people who would be there, one was a wooden cased portable modernolette project machine. For about 10 or 15 minutes around noon I left it unattended in the lobby area across from the table where two women were seated taking money for admission... I was trying to find someone inside and didn't want to lug this and a couple other things around while looking and using my phone. A couple people I knew were standing there where I left it and a few people were wandering in and out, nothing out of the ordinary. In any event, when I came back to get it between 12 and 1230, no one was there, and neither was my was my phonograph, someone had just walked away with it. The women at the front desk didn't see anything, but a few other people saw an older couple looking it over, opening it up and checking it out just before it went missing when I wasn't there - this was apparently a French speaking couple from Canada who I was told attend every Wayne show, named Norman (very thin balding guy) and Chantel (with gray blonde hair). Perhaps they mistakenly took it, or maybe saw who did. But I'd very much like to talk to them. In all the years I've been going, I've never had this happen to me before at that show, nor have I heard of it happening to someone else... and it was already a fairly bad day to begin with. Anyway, any help or assistance would be greatly appreciated.
Attachments
IMG_7041.JPG
IMG_7043.JPG

fran604g
Victor VI
Personal Text: I'm Feeling Cranky

Re: Machine stolen at Wayne NJ show 10/8/17

Post by fran604g »

That's terrible! I hope you can have the situation rectified, it's a shame that someone would do that.

Best,
Fran
Francis; "i" for him, "e" for her
"Even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in a while" - the unappreciative supervisor.

Stephen_Madara
Victor III
Personal Text: www.glassphonohorns.com

Post by Stephen_Madara »

Hopefully you said something to Michael Devecka the promoter of the show. I believe there is also security cameras in the lobby of the pal center. Hope you locate your machine. Stephen

brianu
Victor V

Post by brianu »

Thank you both. I was walking around a bit looking for the machine and the couple with John Duffy, who I think brought the matter to Mike Devecka's attention. But I also just emailed him today to ask for asssitance in getting in touch with those people or perhaps access to the security video from around 11:45 am to 1230 pm (through whatever contacts he may have at the PAL facility). I'm hoping he'll be able to help.

It was by no means an expensive machine, just a project I was selling for about 50 bucks to one of the vendors at the show... but like I'm assuming anyone else here, I really don't like having things, anything, stolen from me, you know? And especially at a place like that show, which I've always considered a safe, somewhat special event.

gramophone-georg
Victor VI
Personal Text: Northwest Of Normal

Post by gramophone-georg »

brianu wrote:Thank you both. I was walking around a bit looking for the machine and the couple with John Duffy, who I think brought the matter to Mike Devecka's attention. But I also just emailed him today to ask for asssitance in getting in touch with those people or perhaps access to the security video from around 11:45 am to 1230 pm (through whatever contacts he may have at the PAL facility). I'm hoping he'll be able to help.

It was by no means an expensive machine, just a project I was selling for about 50 bucks to one of the vendors at the show... but like I'm assuming anyone else here, I really don't like having things, anything, stolen from me, you know? And especially at a place like that show, which I've always considered a safe, somewhat special event.
Yes, I find this quite disturbing also. It's hard to not feel personally violated when something like this happens... BTDT. Sorry to hear this and sorry the sale on the Vic V seems to have fallen through as well. I just can't believe that one hasn't sold. If I could ever sell one of my big boat anchor offerings I'd pick it up and make a stereo. :lol:
"He who dies with the most shellac wins"- some nutty record geek

tomb
Victor IV

Post by tomb »

Did they have security there and it was picked up and sent to lost and found.??? 30 or 40 minutes is a long time to leave something unattended. That said it is a shame if someone stole it as we expect better from the collector crowd and no one should walk out with some one else's property. We need to put out an APB with all collectors. Tom B

brianu
Victor V

Post by brianu »

tomb wrote:Did they have security there and it was picked up and sent to lost and found.??? 30 or 40 minutes is a long time to leave something unattended. That said it is a shame if someone stole it as we expect better from the collector crowd and no one should walk out with some one else's property. We need to put out an APB with all collectors. Tom B
As I posted above, it was left for no longer than 10 or 15 minutes while I was looking for a couple people. The 45 minute window for video (yes there's apparently a security camera) seems broad enough to definitely capture what happened, but narrow enough to keep its viewing/review time minimal... I also don't recall specifically what time this occurred, I just know it happened during that 45 minute period. But honestly, even if I had left something there for two hours, three hours, etc, especially at that type of event and in a law enforcement affiliated facility, I shouldn't have to fear it being taken/stolen. In the past, in that same spot, I've seen machines and boxes sitting for a while, sometimes hours, occasionally marked for sale with a phone number, once or twice marked free take me... regardless, I think unmarked with no sign, the default assumption should clearly be, if it's not yours, leave it alone. Maybe that's just me.

marcapra
Victor V
Personal Text: Man who ride on tiger find it very difficult to dismount! Charlie Chan

Post by marcapra »

regardless, I think unmarked with no sign, the default assumption should clearly be, if it's not yours, leave it alone. Maybe that's just me.
Thieves don't always go by our sense of what should be right and fair. You said you've never heard of this happening? I don't go to the Wayne show, but I've heard of this happening at the Stanton show and APS show for years. I've lost small things like horns and records. So has Stanton's, so now they put expensive reproducers, like the Edison M and Diamond A in marked baggies and lock them up until the buyer comes to fetch them. You are probably safer leaving something like a Victrola 10-50 unattended than a horn or portable. I can imagine if you left a display of rare reproducers out on a table that was unattended with an M, L, and Diamond A reproducer, there would be a great chance one or two would walk if you left it unattended for even five or ten minutes.

CarlosV
Victor IV

Post by CarlosV »

Collectors are not necessarily angels. Just take into account the multitude of collectors/dealers that flog tampered machines to other collectors without disclosing their flaws. A big chunk of the discussions in this forum deals with fakes, adulterations and respective dealers. I also got accounts of jealous collectors/dealers that damage machines in auctions just to reduce their value. To me, this is not much different from stealing. But I agree that it is dismaying to see such thing happening in such venues, especially in such a small community.

edisonclassm
Victor II

Post by edisonclassm »

There was some sneaky devil going around damaging things at this show as well. I was selling a Polyphone Standard at the parking lot and when I went to the building to use the bathroom and get something to eat by the time I got back the damage was done. It was someone who knew what they were doing for sure. They broke both diaphragm eyelets free from the diaphragms. Fortunately the glass diaphragms didn't break and I was able to repair it for the show the next day. It taught me a lesson that you can't leave anything unattended anymore these days.