Columbia Viva-Tonal Motor 11A - Made in England

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
smccaskill
Victor Jr
Personal Text: Stuart

Columbia Viva-Tonal Motor 11A - Made in England

Post by smccaskill »

I need to find either a replacement motor or the spring barrel shaft for my Columbia Viva-Tonal. The 2 spring motor is stamped "11 A and "Made in England". I believe it is a Columbia model 602? Its the smallest model, no flower on the door, pull down door, wood folded horn. It had a broken spring and someone pulled it apart and lost the shaft that goes through the spring barrel into the motor plates. I can get a new spring made for it, but that shaft I cannot.

If there is a drop in replacement of another motor brand someone knows about, I am all ears. I am told that Columbia used a number of different motors. I could also use the lattice grill as mine is missing. Thank you for your help! Stuart McCaskill stumccaskill@gmail.com 816-519-1262

epigramophone
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: An analogue relic trapped in a digital world.

Re: Columbia Viva-Tonal Motor 11A - Made in England

Post by epigramophone »

Your motor is actually a Garrard 11A, but as UK Columbia was Garrard's largest customer they were allowed to have their own name stamped on the motors. The 11A motor was fitted to various British makes of gramophone (but not HMV who made their own) and UK eBay is probably your best hunting ground.

smccaskill
Victor Jr
Personal Text: Stuart

Re: Columbia Viva-Tonal Motor 11A - Made in England

Post by smccaskill »

Thank you for the tip on the 11A motor being made by Garrard. A very nice fellow from England responded and has such a motor. I honestly never imagined I would ever find one and this is so encouraging! I really wanted to restore this somewhat rare Columbia victrola and now I will be able to. Many thanks!