Removing platter

Share your phonograph repair & restoration techniques here
TheBeesKnees
Victor Jr

Removing platter

Post by TheBeesKnees »

Hello! I’m having extreme difficulties removing the platter from my 1916 VV XI Victor victrola.
Any pointers?! Thank you!

CarlosV
Victor IV

Re: Removing platter

Post by CarlosV »

Stick two or three pieces of wood between the platter and the motor board to hold it steady, and hit the spindle with a small hammer. With some patience the turntable will come loose. Just don't start to exert too much force if it doesn't come free on the first hit.

alang
VTLA
Personal Text: TMF Moderator

Post by alang »

Don't hammer directly, use a piece of wood or leather in between, so you don't damage the spindle. Or use a rubber or wood mallet.

Andreas

JerryVan
Victor Monarch Special

Post by JerryVan »

Don't go too wild with the hammer. If it still won't come off, let the motor wind down completely, loosen the governor gear from the spindle shaft, and pull the turntable & spindle shaft completely out of the motor. This will give you a chance to rest the turntable hub on top of some vise jaws to support it. (Position the turntable so the spindle shaft cross pin is clear of the vice jaws.) Then, you can hit the shaft harder with a leather mallet or brass hammer to get it free and not run the risk of breaking the motor frame or messing up the turntable.

fran604g
Victor VI
Personal Text: I'm Feeling Cranky

Post by fran604g »

JerryVan wrote:Don't go too wild with the hammer. If it still won't come off, let the motor wind down completely, loosen the governor gear from the spindle shaft, and pull the turntable & spindle shaft completely out of the motor. This will give you a chance to rest the turntable hub on top of some vise jaws to support it. (Position the turntable so the spindle shaft cross pin is clear of the vice jaws.) Then, you can hit the shaft harder with a leather mallet or brass hammer to get it free and not run the risk of breaking the motor frame or messing up the turntable.
The best advice so far - in my humble opinion. Remove the possibility of extreme amounts of pressure that might be placed onto undesired surfaces!

Best,
Fran
Francis; "i" for him, "e" for her
"Even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in a while" - the unappreciative supervisor.

phonojim
Victor IV

Post by phonojim »

Removing the turntable and spindle as an assembly is the best way to go, however, I would remove the governor before pulling the spindle. Doing this removes any possibility of gear damage. Also completely remove the setscrew from the spindle gear to be sure the gear is completely free of tbe spindle.

Jim