Question about amberola

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
EdisonWizard
Victor III

Question about amberola

Post by EdisonWizard »

A guy relatively near me has am extensive collection and is parting with some pieces. I'll be getting this amberola (75?) from him soon, it seems like it's in great shape with all the original documentation. My question is, what would be the original grille cloth color that would've been on the machine? Would like to get some, maybe I could go to a fabric shop and grab some good stuff.

This is my first amberola machine so I'm pretty excited. Not sure if it's the machine or the cylinder space so I can get more! He said to have about 3 hours to go thru his collection...I'll take some pics if he let's me to post!
Attachments
IMG_0891.jpg
IMG_0886.jpg
J.F.

fran604g
Victor VI
Personal Text: I'm Feeling Cranky

Re: Question about amberola

Post by fran604g »

An eBay listing claiming to be the grille with original cloth, for a 75, although the wood type appears to be oak, rather than mahogany. That may indicate a different color may have been used.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Edison-Amberola ... SwGNtZ1s45

-Fran
Attachments
s-l1600.jpg
s-l1600 (2).jpg
s-l1600 (1).jpg
Francis; "i" for him, "e" for her
"Even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in a while" - the unappreciative supervisor.

EdisonWizard
Victor III

Post by EdisonWizard »

Thanks Fran. It looks to me like a brown color, pretty thin. I'll see if I can find something simular. Would like it close as possible to original.
J.F.

dutchman
Victor IV

Post by dutchman »

I just picked up an Oak 75 today and the grill cloth is about the same as yours. Bill K

Victor VI

Post by 52089 »

That's a relatively early 75 with the nickel-plated reproducer, a speed control, and non-mahogany drawers. I think you'll find it to be a nice workhorse with decent sound.

What's the serial number? Mine, with similar features, is in the 24xx range.

Phonofreak
Victor VI

Post by Phonofreak »

I think the grill cloth for a Mahogany 50, or 75 is an olive color similar to the Diamond disk machines. On Oak Amberola machines, it is usually a coffee color. Except for the earliest is a burnt orange. I get my cloth from a good fabric store. You want to make sure the cloth is sheer. If the cloth is too thick, it will muffle the sound. The original grill cloth was silk. Over the decades, silk deteriorates.
Harvey Kravitz

EdisonWizard
Victor III

Post by EdisonWizard »

52089 wrote:That's a relatively early 75 with the nickel-plated reproducer, a speed control, and non-mahogany drawers. I think you'll find it to be a nice workhorse with decent sound.

What's the serial number? Mine, with similar features, is in the 24xx range.

I plan to pick it up Thursday or the following week depending on my schedule. I'll post serial then. I was curious about the drawers, being that they weren't mahogany, but glad to know this is original. I'm giving $500 for it, with the other stuff. This a good price?
J.F.

EdisonWizard
Victor III

Post by EdisonWizard »

Phonofreak wrote:I think the grill cloth for a Mahogany 50, or 75 is an olive color similar to the Diamond disk machines. On Oak Amberola machines, it is usually a coffee color. Except for the earliest is a burnt orange. I get my cloth from a good fabric store. You want to make sure the cloth is sheer. If the cloth is too thick, it will muffle the sound. The original grill cloth was silk. Over the decades, silk deteriorates.
Harvey Kravitz
Good to know Thanks! I'm guessing I can install with staples or small tacks
J.F.

EdisonWizard
Victor III

Post by EdisonWizard »

More pics he sent.
Attachments
IMG_0889.jpg
IMG_0892.jpg
J.F.

Phonofreak
Victor VI

Post by Phonofreak »

Don't use staples or tack!!!!! I don't think Edison used them. I believe they were glued on. I think of you use staples or tacks you'll crack the grill and damage it.I wrote in a previous thread how to glue grill cloth on the grill. If you can't find it, I'll re-write it.
Harvey Kravitz
EdisonWizard wrote:
Phonofreak wrote:I think the grill cloth for a Mahogany 50, or 75 is an olive color similar to the Diamond disk machines. On Oak Amberola machines, it is usually a coffee color. Except for the earliest is a burnt orange. I get my cloth from a good fabric store. You want to make sure the cloth is sheer. If the cloth is too thick, it will muffle the sound. The original grill cloth was silk. Over the decades, silk deteriorates.
Harvey Kravitz
Good to know Thanks! I'm guessing I can install with staples or small tacks