VV 4-3 Tone Arm Paint Color Assistance

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
pellicano1
Victor II
Personal Text: The Phonograph Stop

VV 4-3 Tone Arm Paint Color Assistance

Post by pellicano1 »

Hey all, does anyone know the exact paint type and color number I should use to airbrush a tone arm that was originally gold but has faded badly. It is for my VV 4-3 Orthophonic. See photos of current condition. Also any tips appreciated (prep, etc).

I had my eye on this but want to be 100% sure and what better place to ask than my fellow enthusiasts :)
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Gold-Leaf-Finish/38471169

Thanks for any help.
Attachments
IMG_20171010_181240374.jpg
22218495_10155566749235803_6563153442218462374_o.jpg
22196364_10155566779715803_1501133000954920864_n.jpg
I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work.
Thomas A. Edison

RolandVV-360
Victor II
Personal Text: The Finest Gift of All!

Re: VV 4-3 Tone Arm Paint Color Assistance

Post by RolandVV-360 »

All I can say is that no 4-3 was produced with gold plated hardware. I've never seen a 4-3 without nickle plated or antique bronze hardware.
PHONOGRAPH, n. An irritating toy that restores life to dead noises. -Ambrose Bierce

-Roland

startgroove
Victor III

Post by startgroove »

It is more likely a nickel finish on the tone arm, at least that is what "Look For The Dog" describes the finish as, "and nickel plated hardware (an antique bronze finish was used at the end of the production run).  It appears the rest of the hardware, such as the needle holder, needle cup, lid supports and lid hinge are all nickel. Therefore, maybe you are wanting to make a custom variation on yours? If you are after an antique bronze finish, then that would be another process altogether involving chemicals. Cheers, Russie

pellicano1
Victor II

Post by pellicano1 »

thanks guys. I want to keep original as possible. Will probably just clean and polish the tone arm. The reproducer I am waiting for is a bit worn but is gold in color. Cant have it all I guess lol.
Attachments
s-l1602.jpg
s-l1600.jpg
Thomas A. Edison

alang
VTLA
Personal Text: TMF Moderator

Post by alang »

That orthophonic reproducer is from a later portable, still pot metal, but usually stable. It is not 100% "correct" on a VV-4-3, but works just fine, since most of the originals seem to have crumbled by now. I agree with the others, a VV-4-3 should have a nickel plated tonearm - except for very late models.

Andreas

gramophone-georg
Victor VI
Personal Text: Northwest Of Normal

Post by gramophone-georg »

pellicano1 wrote:thanks guys. I want to keep original as possible. Will probably just clean and polish the tone arm. The reproducer I am waiting for is a bit worn but is gold in color. Cant have it all I guess lol.
If you want that arm re- nickled, I can help you, and I also have a nickle HMV No. 5 A reproducer that's in great shape available if you want something closer to correct.
"He who dies with the most shellac wins"- some nutty record geek

pellicano1
Victor II

Post by pellicano1 »

alang wrote:That orthophonic reproducer is from a later portable, still pot metal, but usually stable. It is not 100% "correct" on a VV-4-3, but works just fine, since most of the originals seem to have crumbled by now. I agree with the others, a VV-4-3 should have a nickel plated tonearm - except for very late models.

Andreas
Yeah they were made for portables. I saw a video with this reproducer playing on a vv 4-7 and it sounded amazing! I cant wait!
Thomas A. Edison

gramophone-georg
Victor VI
Personal Text: Northwest Of Normal

Post by gramophone-georg »

pellicano1 wrote:
alang wrote:That orthophonic reproducer is from a later portable, still pot metal, but usually stable. It is not 100% "correct" on a VV-4-3, but works just fine, since most of the originals seem to have crumbled by now. I agree with the others, a VV-4-3 should have a nickel plated tonearm - except for very late models.

Andreas
Yeah they were made for portables. I saw a video with this reproducer playing on a vv 4-7 and it sounded amazing! I cant wait!
They do sound very nice. These were always my reproducer of choice for gold Ortho tone arms.
"He who dies with the most shellac wins"- some nutty record geek

pellicano1
Victor II

Post by pellicano1 »

gramophone-georg wrote:
pellicano1 wrote:

Andreas
They do sound very nice. These were always my reproducer of choice for gold Ortho tone arms.
Now you see my dilemna lol. If im really not liking what are the chances of training someone for a very good condition pot metal Victor Ortho on here?
Thomas A. Edison

pellicano1
Victor II

Post by pellicano1 »

Now you see my dilemna lol. If im really not liking what are the chances of trading someone for a very good condition pot metal Victor Ortho on here?[/quote]
Thomas A. Edison