Question about amberola

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
Jerry B.
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Stop for a visit when in Oregon.

Re: Question about amberola

Post by Jerry B. »

If you go to a good fabric store you can buy silky fabric like you'd find in the suit lining of a mans jacket. If you take your grill to the fabric store you could find a color that compliments the finish. Jerry Blais

EdisonWizard
Victor III

Post by EdisonWizard »

Phonofreak wrote:Don't use staples or tack!!!!! I don't think Edison used them. I believe they were glued on. I think of you use staples or tacks you'll crack the grill and damage it.I wrote in a previous thread how to glue grill cloth on the grill. If you can't find it, I'll re-write it.
Harvey Kravitz
EdisonWizard wrote:
Phonofreak wrote:I think the grill cloth for a Mahogany 50, or 75 is an olive color similar to the Diamond disk machines. On Oak Amberola machines, it is usually a coffee color. Except for the earliest is a burnt orange. I get my cloth from a good fabric store. You want to make sure the cloth is sheer. If the cloth is too thick, it will muffle the sound. The original grill cloth was silk. Over the decades, silk deteriorates.
Harvey Kravitz
Good to know Thanks! I'm guessing I can install with staples or small tacks

Oh wow good to know. I'll do a search and see if I can find it. Thanks!!
J.F.

EdisonWizard
Victor III

Post by EdisonWizard »

Jerry B. wrote:If you go to a good fabric store you can buy silky fabric like you'd find in the suit lining of a mans jacket. If you take your grill to the fabric store you could find a color that compliments the finish. Jerry Blais
When I get it I believe that's what I'll do. Have a new store that opened in town I'll head there.
J.F.

marcapra
Victor V
Personal Text: Man who ride on tiger find it very difficult to dismount! Charlie Chan

Post by marcapra »

I went to Joanne's fabric store several times looking for grill cloth. I was disappointed. The cloths were either way too thick of way too thin. The selection of silk had nothing remotely looking like it belonged on an Edison. The stuff they sell on Ebay is not original looking either.

PeterF
Victor IV

Post by PeterF »

Search in your local area for shops catering to people of Indian extraction - Sari shops and the like - for thin silk (and polyester substitutes) at cheap prices. There is usually a wide variety of textures and colors, and it has worked perfectly for me for years!

marcapra
Victor V
Personal Text: Man who ride on tiger find it very difficult to dismount! Charlie Chan

Post by marcapra »

If I asked around, where do I find stores that cater to people of Indian extraction, I would just get a big "Huh?" Maybe it's different up in San Fran.

PeterF
Victor IV

Post by PeterF »

Well, you definitely are kinda rural...but a quick search turns up one in Corona and several in the Escondido and Solana Beach regions...

JerryVan
Victor Monarch Special

Post by JerryVan »

marcapra wrote:If I asked around, where do I find stores that cater to people of Indian extraction, I would just get a big "Huh?" Maybe it's different up in San Fran.
Go to just about any motel and ask to speak with Mr. Patel. He'll tell you where to go. :)

PeterF
Victor IV

Post by PeterF »

...to the EEOC to respond to his filing? :pig: