Help with fitting a swollen reproducer

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
EdisonWizard
Victor III

Help with fitting a swollen reproducer

Post by EdisonWizard »

Finally got to go to my Godfathers house today and install the 2/4 min mech on his ICS machine. Looks and runs beautifully. When he purchased it the model C had swollen slightly in the carriage and couldn't pull it out...however it would wiggle. I put it in the freezer and it popped right out with a little push. I'm giving him a model H, but id like for him to be able to use his model C. I was thinking could I just use steel wool to remove a little on the sides of the body so it'll go in and out easily? Or is there another method?

His machine is drilled for cygnet crane so he purchased the mount and crane, and when my music master comes in tomorrow I'm gonna give him my extra cygnet horn. Gonna be a nice machine!
J.F.

JerryVan
Victor Monarch Special

Re: Help with fitting a swollen reproducer

Post by JerryVan »

Steel wool will never remove an amount of material that would help you. Very carefully filing the outer diameter of the reproducer body should help.

EdisonWizard
Victor III

Post by EdisonWizard »

Hmm but making sure to keep it round seems difficult using a flat file. Would some fine sandpaper work? I can wrap it around and tug on each side and work my way around.
J.F.

Victor VI

Post by 52089 »

EdisonWizard wrote:Hmm but making sure to keep it round seems difficult using a flat file. Would some fine sandpaper work? I can wrap it around and tug on each side and work my way around.
I typically use emery paper (like sandpaper but designed for metal finishing) in this situation. You won't need much. Start with a fairly fine grit so as not to overdo it. Do a little, then check for fit, and repeat as necessary.

JerryVan
Victor Monarch Special

Post by JerryVan »

EdisonWizard wrote:Hmm but making sure to keep it round seems difficult using a flat file. Would some fine sandpaper work? I can wrap it around and tug on each side and work my way around.

That's where the "carefully" part comes in. :) Besides, you only want to reduce the diameter by maybe .001/.002". How out-of-round can you get removing so little stock? Sanding may work, but will be very difficult to get into the corner, just under the flange, the way a file can do.

EdisonWizard
Victor III

Post by EdisonWizard »

JerryVan wrote:

That's where the "carefully" part comes in. :) Besides, you only want to reduce the diameter by maybe .001/.002". How out-of-round can you get removing so little stock? Sanding may work, but will be very difficult to get into the corner, just under the flange, the way a file can do.

I have a set of finishing files from when I was custom building 1911s. I may try this tomorrow just to see. Shouldn't take much like you said. Maybe I could use a marker to see where high points are and go from there.
J.F.

12jslater
Victor II

Post by 12jslater »

I used a file on my swollen diamond B, it fits a treat now, you'll have success with a file.

EdisonWizard
Victor III

Post by EdisonWizard »

12jslater wrote:I used a file on my swollen diamond B, it fits a treat now, you'll have success with a file.
Did you just lightly run it around the entire body? I'm guessing I may be able to find my fine file so as to not leave many scratches. Still unpacking from the move so I may just run down to Lowe's and pick myself up a small fine file to do this tomorrow.
J.F.

12jslater
Victor II

Post by 12jslater »

Personally I used quite a rough file at first and then finished with a fine file, I felt I had to remove quite a bit of material so it would fit smoothly, just keep doing it all around the reproducer and trying it in a reproducer carriage as not to remove too much metal. (your reproducer lies within the hands and experience of a 16 year old, GOOD LUCK!! :lol: )

Hope this helped, Jake

fran604g
Victor VI
Personal Text: I'm Feeling Cranky

Post by fran604g »

As a hint, I use my digital calipers to measure around the outside diameter, and note where the "high" spots are.

Best,
Fran
Francis; "i" for him, "e" for her
"Even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in a while" - the unappreciative supervisor.