I'm A Dreamer Aren't We All? Paul Whiteman

Discussions on Records, Recording, & Artists
melvind
Victor IV

I'm A Dreamer Aren't We All? Paul Whiteman

Post by melvind »

I am very happy with how this recording came out so I thought I would share it with those interested.

[youtubehd]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TvkhtttfQew[/youtubehd]

CarlosV
Victor IV

Re: I'm A Dreamer Aren't We All? Paul Whiteman

Post by CarlosV »

Very well recorded indeed. All instruments come clear as well as Bing Crosby's voice. I gather you recorded it in modern equipment, right?

melvind
Victor IV

Post by melvind »

CarlosV wrote:Very well recorded indeed. All instruments come clear as well as Bing Crosby's voice. I gather you recorded it in modern equipment, right?
Yes, I have a Audio-Technica AT-LP120-USB turntable with a Sure M78S cartridge wired for mono and a stylus intended for 78 records. It can output both analog via RCA jacks or using a USB cable. I used the USB interface to my MacBook Pro and used Audacity to record it. All in all, a pretty easy thing to do. I haven't had a turntable since the 80s until last week when this one arrived. I'm having a lot of fun playing both 78s and the few LPs I still have left. I haven't heard them in 30+ years.

Wolfe
Victor V

Post by Wolfe »

Sounds good, basically. But it seems like it ought to go up in speed 1 or 2 RPM's.

gramophone-georg
Victor VI
Personal Text: Northwest Of Normal

Post by gramophone-georg »

Those Potato Heads have really great fidelity, like lots of laminated Columbias of that period. That's a nice version, too- if you like the tune check out the High Hatters' version on Victor as well.
"He who dies with the most shellac wins"- some nutty record geek

melvind
Victor IV

Post by melvind »

Wolfe wrote:Sounds good, basically. But it seems like it ought to go up in speed 1 or 2 RPM's.
I just double checked the turntable with both it's own strobe and a paper vintage paper strobe and it is going exactly 78. My understanding is that by the twenties Columbia and most everyone had standardized on 78.

Wolfe
Victor V

Post by Wolfe »

^ To each her or his own. :) In the post-1925 electrical period there is sometimes an impression that 78 was made standard. With the old weight driven cutting lathes they were still using, I don't trust that implicitly.