Tutorial - Copy images from Craigslist or eBay

Share your phonograph repair & restoration techniques here
melvind
Victor IV

Tutorial - Copy images from Craigslist or eBay

Post by melvind »

Copying an image from websites like Craigslist and eBay is quite easy. It works exactly the same way on both a Mac and a PC. From time to time an image might be setup so it can’t be copied via this method, but this works for nearly all images you will want to copy.

It is always a good idea to add the images into a post because an eBay auction or a Craigslist listing are not permanent. For example, the following image is what you see if you click on a link to a Craigslist listing that is no longer valid.
craigslist deleted by author.png
When you add an image to a post by copying it from a page it will stay with the post for historical and research reasons.

eBay

To copy an image on eBay you need to click on the image that shows on the page. This will open a window that shows a larger image. You can then use the right mouse button to bring up a menu that will include an entry to save the image. The image below was made on a Mac but on a PC the menu will have a similar line for saving the image.
mouse save an image from ebay.png
When you click “Save Image As...” you will get dialog box giving you the ability to rename the image and to set the location where to save the image. The image name will be a very long, strange name by default. It is best to type in a new name that means something to you. Also, change the location on your computer where you will be able to find the saved image. It is best to use a location like the Desktop because it makes it easy to find and use the saved image.
Save ebay dialog.png
You will then find the image on your computer.
Marie Rappold Tone Test.jpg
Craigslist

Saving a Craigslist image is the very similar to the process on eBay. When you find an item you want to save on Craigslist you need to click on the image to bring up the image in a larger format. You can then use the right mouse click to save and rename the image.
mouse save on image from craigslist.png
You then get the dialog that allows you to rename and set the location to save the file to on your computer.
save craigslist dialog.png
sparton phonograph.jpg

gramophone-georg
Victor VI
Personal Text: Northwest Of Normal

Re: Tutorial - Copy images from Craigslist or eBay

Post by gramophone-georg »

melvind wrote:Copying an image from websites like Craigslist and eBay is quite easy. It works exactly the same way on both a Mac and a PC. From time to time an image might be setup so it can’t be copied via this method, but this works for nearly all images you will want to copy.

It is always a good idea to add the images into a post because an eBay auction or a Craigslist listing are not permanent. For example, the following image is what you see if you click on a link to a Craigslist listing that is no longer valid.
craigslist deleted by author.png
When you add an image to a post by copying it from a page it will stay with the post for historical and research reasons.

eBay

To copy an image on eBay you need to click on the image that shows on the page. This will open a window that shows a larger image. You can then use the right mouse button to bring up a menu that will include an entry to save the image. The image below was made on a Mac but on a PC the menu will have a similar line for saving the image.
mouse save an image from ebay.png
When you click “Save Image As...” you will get dialog box giving you the ability to rename the image and to set the location where to save the image. The image name will be a very long, strange name by default. It is best to type in a new name that means something to you. Also, change the location on your computer where you will be able to find the saved image. It is best to use a location like the Desktop because it makes it easy to find and use the saved image.
Save ebay dialog.png
Marie Rappold Tone Test.jpg
Craigslist

Saving a Craigslist image is the very similar to the process on eBay. When you find an item you want to save on Craigslist you need to click on the image to bring up the image in a larger format. You can then use the right mouse click to save and rename the image.
mouse save on image from craigslist.png
You then get the dialog that allows you to rename and set the location to save the file to on your computer.
save craigslist dialog.png
sparton phonograph.jpg
I wind up with a corrupted file failure whenever I try to load those images here. Everywhere else seems to work fine.

Could it be my Berliner PC's OS?
"He who dies with the most shellac wins"- some nutty record geek

Jerry B.
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Stop for a visit when in Oregon.

Post by Jerry B. »

Thanks Dan, that's very thoughtful of you. Jerry B.

melvind
Victor IV

Post by melvind »

gramophone-georg wrote:I wind up with a corrupted file failure whenever I try to load those images here. Everywhere else seems to work fine.

It sounds to me like you are trying to use the Img button and [Img] tag. That does not work for files from your computer. Only from other sites.

gramophone-georg
Victor VI

melvind wrote:
gramophone-georg wrote:I wind up with a corrupted file failure whenever I try to load those images here. Everywhere else seems to work fine.

It sounds to me like you are trying to use the Img button and [Img] tag. That does not work for files from your computer. Only from other sites.
No, I'm trying to load them as an attachment, just like I do for the pictures I take myself, which works just fine.

melvind
Victor IV

Post by melvind »

gramophone-georg wrote:No, I'm trying to load them as an attachment, just like I do for the pictures I take myself, which works just fine.
Have you tried a different web browser? I have done this for years originally in IE, then FireFox, Safari and Chrome. I've never had it fail. I currently use Chrome. I don't know how it could not work. Very strange indeed!

gramophone-georg
Victor VI

melvind wrote:
gramophone-georg wrote:No, I'm trying to load them as an attachment, just like I do for the pictures I take myself, which works just fine.
Have you tried a different web browser? I have done this for years originally in IE, then FireFox, Safari and Chrome. I've never had it fail. I currently use Chrome. I don't know how it could not work. Very strange indeed!
No, haven't tried a different browser. I'm a Chrome guy, too. Wonder if it's because I am still lumbering along with Windows XP? LOL. It's only this site, though.

melvind
Victor IV

Post by melvind »

gramophone-georg wrote:No, haven't tried a different browser. I'm a Chrome guy, too. Wonder if it's because I am still lumbering along with Windows XP? LOL. It's only this site, though.
Yikes!!!! :( :? :o

If you are on the internet with an XP machine you are living dangerously. There hasn't been a security update for at least 3 years and the machine must be pretty old at this point too. Either the hardware is going to fail or you will get a terrible virus or worm on it and not be able to use it. Might be time to catch up just a bit. :D Just saying...

gramophone-georg
Victor VI

melvind wrote:
gramophone-georg wrote:No, haven't tried a different browser. I'm a Chrome guy, too. Wonder if it's because I am still lumbering along with Windows XP? LOL. It's only this site, though.
Yikes!!!! :( :? :o

If you are on the internet with an XP machine you are living dangerously. There hasn't been a security update for at least 3 years and the machine must be pretty old at this point too. Either the hardware is going to fail or you will get a terrible virus or worm on it and not be able to use it. Might be time to catch up just a bit. :D Just saying...
I know, I'm just cheap. You're talking to a guy who hasn't even bought a cell phone yet. :lol:

I actually do have some good anti virus programs, a good firewall, and malware bytes.

Maybe I'm not "cheap" as much as I have zero stomach for going shopping only to be presented with too many choices.

Curt A
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Needle Tins are Addictive

Post by Curt A »

I know, I'm just cheap. You're talking to a guy who hasn't even bought a cell phone yet. :lol:

That's probably because it doesn't have a crank and a spring... :roll:
"The phonograph† is not of any commercial value."
Thomas Alva Edison - Comment to his assistant, Samuel Insull.

"No one needs a Victrola XX, a Perfected Graphophone Type G, or whatever you call those noisy things."
My Wife