Bidding Wars and Recession

Discussions on Records, Recording, & Artists
Victrolacollector
Victor V

Bidding Wars and Recession

Post by Victrolacollector »

Does anyone remember during the recession period of 2007-2009, when Edison Diamond Discs in the 52000 series were fetching over 100.00 each in bidding wars on eBay? I wonder why this phenomenon happened, especially when people were losing homes?

WDC
Victor IV

Re: Bidding Wars and Recession

Post by WDC »

I would assume that some might have been forced to sell off their collections and others start to fight over their items. Large-scale recessions have been always abused to further extend the gap between poverty and wealth. So, some deep pocket collectors are always around and it just takes two of them to fight over something.

However I am more convinced that the biggest ongoing change is in the machine market. Many of the five or even six digit price tags have been growing and growing over the past 20 years. It has been almost like an investment bubble. But most average collectors are not going to be able to afford this, especially future generations. So these machines will eventually turn into items that will be become hard to sell. Eventually I do see a trend that leads towards more realistic prices, something that can be seen as a quite positive development for better affordability.

Gatyam
Victor I

Post by Gatyam »

Rumor at the time was that there was a wealthy woman who was trying to obtain a pristine copy of every 52000-series Edison Diamond Disc record for her husband. Try as they might, no one was able to outbid her, leading to some of those exorbitant prices. The high prices may also have been responsible for some of the rarest copies, which deserved high prices, being pulled out of collections.

marcapra
Victor V
Personal Text: Man who ride on tiger find it very difficult to dismount! Charlie Chan

Post by marcapra »

Actually, good DDs can still fetch over $100. I just paid about $127 for this 1929 52506 DD on Ebay:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/GOLDEN-GATE-OR ... true&rt=nc

I paid a lot of money, but luckily, it turned out to be a great, but not very well known record. The flip side, I'll Never Ask for More, is even better than the Sweethearts on Parade side! And, no, you won't find it on Youtube.

gramophone-georg
Victor VI
Personal Text: Northwest Of Normal

Post by gramophone-georg »

marcapra wrote:Actually, good DDs can still fetch over $100. I just paid about $127 for this 1929 52506 DD on Ebay:

I paid a lot of money, but luckily, it turned out to be a great, but not very well known record. The flip side, I'll Never Ask for More, is even better than the Sweethearts on Parade side! And, no, you won't find it on Youtube.
And I have 2 copies. Wish I had known! Dang, I haven't seen Tom Bumbera selling on eBay for a few years. I need to keep a better eye out!
"He who dies with the most shellac wins"- some nutty record geek

audiophile102
Victor IV
Personal Text: Say to yourself I am so happy hurray!

Post by audiophile102 »

marcapra wrote:Actually, good DDs can still fetch over $100. I just paid about $127 for this 1929 52506 DD on Ebay:

I would love to hear it on You Tube.
"You can't take the phonographs nor the money with you, but the contentment the phonographs bring may well make your life better, and happier lives make the world a better place."

Victor VI

Post by 52089 »

Yes you will, at least the "I'll Never Ask" side! It's been on my channel for about 2 years now:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nbdvd0act9g[/youtube]

marcapra
Victor V
Personal Text: Man who ride on tiger find it very difficult to dismount! Charlie Chan

Post by marcapra »

Well, I stand corrected, at least for this side! Thanks 52! Marc.

Rastus10
Victor I

Post by Rastus10 »

Gatyam wrote:Rumor at the time was that there was a wealthy woman who was trying to obtain a pristine copy of every 52000-series Edison Diamond Disc record for her husband. Try as they might, no one was able to outbid her, leading to some of those exorbitant prices. The high prices may also have been responsible for some of the rarest copies, which deserved high prices, being pulled out of collections.
That's the type of woman I need to meet to assist in increasing my collection...the heck with these 'starving artist' hipster Janes with their "vinyl."