Featured Phonograph № 53

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
gramophone78
Victor VI

Featured Phonograph № 53

Post by gramophone78 »

Since I'm new on this forum and have Berliner Gramophone Co. interest. I thought I would share one with the group.So that being said.I figured I would start with one of the oldest US models. Sorry for the repeat for those that have seen this on another forum.
This is a 1894-95 Berliner "Hand-Wind". These machines were Berliner's first attempt at getting into the US market.There are several variations of this machine. The oldest seem to have a solid cast fly wheel and a slightly smaller bell on the funnel horn. The later models have three holes in the fly wheel.
It seems that at least two types of metal casting were used at this early stage.The first being black with a fancy gold filigree painted on it. Then it seems that a slightly more simple casting that one could (order?) in black or copper plated.price $12.00
This example was stored in a small museum from 1923 to 1997 and was donated by the lady that owned it new. It is un-touched and is well preserved.
This kind of machine is not everyone's taste but, it shows you how it all started and that is interesting.
I hope you enjoy the photos. I rarely take it out of the glass case.
1894 Berliner Hand-Wind #1.jpg
1894 Berliner Hand-Wind #4.JPG
1894 Berliner Hand-Wind #5.JPG
1894 Berliner Hand-Wind #7.JPG
1894 Berliner Hand-Wind #6.JPG
Last edited by gramophone78 on Wed Apr 14, 2010 9:11 am, edited 2 times in total.

Aaron
Victor II

Re: Featured Phonograph № 53

Post by Aaron »

Beautiful and Amazing! Thank you for sharing such a rare piece!

Aaron

phonophan79
Victor IV

Post by phonophan79 »

I agree... it looks great! Would love to have this or a version of a hand wind / hand motor phonograph.

Please make a video of this machine if you have the capability!

Thanks for taking the time to share.

schweg
Victor III

Post by schweg »

What a beauty. Thanks for posting the pictures. Looking forward to seeing more... Steve

Valecnik
Victor VI
Personal Text: Edison Records - Close your eyes and see if the artist does not actually seem to be before you.

Post by Valecnik »

Gramo78,

That's about as perfect an example as one could hope to find. Congratulations and thanks for posting! If possible, I'd like to see, (as would others I'm sure) some additional closeup pics of the plate and that stamped information on the base.

Post by Guest »

If anyone would like to see close-ups of any of my pictures. I think you can just click on the pic and it will enlarge.

gramophone78
Victor VI

Post by gramophone78 »

Thanks all for the kind words.As I said this is not everyones taste as it is not a daily player.In fact,I think I have only played it a few times.VERY hard on the wrists!!!LOL!!!.For those that would like to see close-ups.I think if you click on my pics it will enlarge them automaticly.If not let me know and I can post what you like.

MTPhono
Victor III

Post by MTPhono »

Beautiful machine, Wayne! A real stunner. For the record, even though it's a disc machine I would love to have it in my collection.

Can you tell us how you were able to wrangle the machine from the museum?

gramophone78
Victor VI

Post by gramophone78 »

YES!!!!,unfortunately I can.It's called $$$$$.Plain and simple.My money went to save another historical building which was being moved onto the museum grounds.So,it went to a great cause.That building was the last stage coach building still standing from the great gold rush.The irony is that the machine came here to Canada with a German-American family that started a hotel and rest stop on that gold rush trail.So,it all tied in together.After extensive research on my part.I was able to find out that the last remaining family member died in 1978.The Son of the lady that owned it new.He had no family.All her other children (4) died very young.One girl at 8 from a kick to the head from a horse.

With regards to making a video of this machine.It really is Not exciting enough for that because,it really doesn't do anything but play a record and barely that.