"New Edison" 2-C Long Play Console recently acquired

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
EarlH
Victor III

Re: "New Edison" 2-C Long Play Console recently acquired

Post by EarlH »

marcapra wrote:
I remember buying one of these out of an estate in 1973 for $25 chocked with a complete set of LP's and white label 52000's.
Wow! that's a long time ago! $25 was worth about $142 in 2017 dollars, so I can see why you would sell off the long play records at $142 each adjusted for inflation. Sounds like a great buy back in '73 when it was probably harder to find antique phonographs without Ebay and Craigslist around.
I got my first phonograph in 1972 and it's a C-19 Edison. I can remember seeing outside horn Victor's in antique stores in those days for $65 but I couldn't tell you anymore what models they were. I did see a Victor VI for $75 and the only reason I remember it is because one of the metal capitals fell off and I had to find it back. It was on the floor under some stuff and when I pulled it off and sat it on the table it came loose. Ozzie complained about it saying if it was a nice oak one he could get $100 out of it but since it was mahogany... I don't remember the horn anymore as he had those hanging from the ceiling and said I could have my pick. And PILES of records in shops that messed with them. So, yes, $25 each for any kind of a record would have seemed to me like a fortune in those days. One dealer used to sell me diamond disk records by the foot and he would measure them. How were you supposed to know what you should be looking for anyway? I don't remember anything much for books. Knowledge was pretty hard won when I was a kid.

Those long play machines are nice. I had one my Dad bought in 1977 and we got it from a dealer that had just got it from the guy that bought it new in 1927. I Dad gave $75 for it full of records. He had 15-20 good size boxes of records that came with it and wanted $45 for all of the records. I couldn't talk Dad into the records though as he thought we had spent enough money to get Mom to have a fit. That was a dumb move as almost all of the records I did get with it were electric and there was three long play records in there. I don't know what was in the other boxes though. I know where the machine is now, and it's still in really nice shape. The finish really crazes on them though and it's really thick which is probably the reason it gives so much trouble. They are attractive, but I think they take some getting used to. My Dad HATED the grille and made me put it in a room where he didn't have to look at it very often!

And congratulations on the find! I think you'll really enjoy the old girl. Too bad someone doesn't re-cast that center part of the grille in resin, they seem to be damaged often times. Replacing the grille cloth on those things is quite a challenge as well.

fran604g
Victor VI
Personal Text: I'm Feeling Cranky

Post by fran604g »

Gary, I've replicated the grille cloth (for my 1-C), and it's garnered great reviews -- judge for yourself. The trick is that the original silk cloth refracts light in fascinating ways, making an exact duplication impossible. If you choose to replace yours, just send me a PM for details.

Best,
Fran
Attachments
Replica grille cloth.JPG
Francis; "i" for him, "e" for her
"Even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in a while" - the unappreciative supervisor.

DGPros
Victor III
Personal Text: Gary

Post by DGPros »

fran604g wrote:Hi again, Gary. Sorry to so bothersome, but also, could you snap a pic of the "Edisonic" reproducer showing the weight from underneath, and post the serial numbers of both reproducers as well?

Thank you much,
Fran
No bother at all.I have added pictures, let me know if there is anything else you might like to see, like a better picture of the bottom weight.

Edison No.18
NS6204 and yes its the more squared off weight rather than rounded.
LG 4723
Attachments
2017-11-01 09.49.03.jpg
2017-11-01 09.48.13.jpg
2017-11-01 09.47.06.jpg
In short, is not liberty the freedom of every person to make full use of his faculties, so long as he does not harm other persons while doing so?
Frederic Bastiat

DGPros
Victor III

Post by DGPros »

fran604g wrote:Gary, I've replicated the grille cloth (for my 1-C), and it's garnered great reviews -- judge for yourself. The trick is that the original silk cloth refracts light in fascinating ways, making an exact duplication impossible. If you choose to replace yours, just send me a PM for details.

Best,
Fran

Awesome job on the grill cloth. I am going to do my damnedest to clean my original cloth with Woolite and a good vacuuming first,I will let you know afterwords in case I botch it. :roll: I found the honeycombs quite interesting.
Attachments
2017-11-01 10.06.51.jpg
In short, is not liberty the freedom of every person to make full use of his faculties, so long as he does not harm other persons while doing so?
Frederic Bastiat

fran604g
Victor VI

Post by fran604g »

DGPros wrote:
fran604g wrote:Gary, I've replicated the grille cloth (for my 1-C), and it's garnered great reviews -- judge for yourself. The trick is that the original silk cloth refracts light in fascinating ways, making an exact duplication impossible. If you choose to replace yours, just send me a PM for details.

Best,
Fran

Awesome job on the grill cloth. I am going to do my damnedest to clean my original cloth with Woolite and a good vacuuming first,I will let you know afterwords in case I botch it. :roll: I found the honeycombs quite interesting.
Cool, and best of luck with the original silk -- mine literally self destructed, leaving me little to save. :(

The thing I found silly about my 1-C is not only the door in front of the horn being an obvious sound reflector, but also the fact that a mute ball was included with the tiny 100 horn! Talk about reducing the realized volume output! Craziness...it's no wonder a New Standard reproducer was included for playing the regular records; and that everyone thought the L-P records had terrible volume (which they do in comparison, but are made even worse).

Best,
Fran
"Even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in a while" - the unappreciative supervisor.

marcapra
Victor V
Personal Text: Man who ride on tiger find it very difficult to dismount! Charlie Chan

Post by marcapra »

I think you could use your duplicate LP cloth for the Beethoven and Schubert Edisonics too? Right? I think it is the same or very similar design. do you sell the duplicate cloth Fran? Marc.

fran604g
Victor VI

Post by fran604g »

marcapra wrote:I think you could use your duplicate LP cloth for the Beethoven and Schubert Edisonics too? Right? I think it is the same or very similar design. do you sell the duplicate cloth Fran? Marc.
The two grille cloths are actually different in my 1-C and Schubert. The patterns appear to have been very similar (if not identical), but the weaves (a function of the textiles used?), and colors were/are different. My Schubert was/is much lighter than my 1-C, in my opinion. Also, the weave of my 1-C cloth has a depth to it, whereas the cloth of my Schubert is very "flat".

I sent you a PM.

Best,
Fran

DGPros
Victor III

Post by DGPros »

I thought a little side by side comparison might help. Here are the Beethoven and 2-C grill cloths which I believe both are original and excellent shape.
Attachments
2017-11-02 12.03.21.jpg
2017-11-02 12.03.17.jpg
2017-11-02 12.03.13.jpg
2017-11-02 12.03.05.jpg
Frederic Bastiat

fran604g
Victor VI

Post by fran604g »

DGPros wrote:I thought a little side by side comparison might help. Here are the Beethoven and 2-C grill cloths which I believe both are original and excellent shape.
Same results I had, Gary. Thanks for your images, here are a couple closeups of mine.

Best,
Fran
Attachments
Grille Fabric Edison Schubert 3,020 close up.JPG
Grille Fabric Edison Model 1-C 1,054 closeup.JPG

drh
Victor IV
Personal Text: A Pathé record...with care will live to speak to your grandchildren when they are as old as you are

Post by drh »

marcapra wrote:I'm glad that you're trying to fix the console rather than just removing the LP mechanism and junking the cabinet! Most of these consoles wind up being junked like that.
Why are the LP consoles so unloved? I've never seen one in the flesh, but from the photos they appear to be an attractive design family.

Mind you, again from pictures, I think the Jacobean is an attractive design, too, and that one seems to have been a commercial dud from the get-go....