Cygnet Horn painting and Decals

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
callron
Victor O

Cygnet Horn painting and Decals

Post by callron »

Thank you to all the replies regarding Cygnet Horn painting. After completing the basic all black finish, I gold striped the outer seams and it looked pretty good. Then when I mounted the horn on the phonograph, the inside looked bland and unfinished, so I gold striped the inside seams and the horn "came to life". So, while I'm still not certain if the originals were striped on the inside or not, I definitely like the look when it is.

On another matter, I got the Cygnet No. 10 decals on eBay (came from Peru) and they have a gold background.
It appears from photos of original unrestored horns that the background is silver.
Am I missing something here?
Should they be silver? If so, does anyone have a source for the correct decal?

Again, thanks in advance

melvind
Victor IV

Re: Cygnet Horn painting and Decals

Post by melvind »

Gregg Cline has the best decals around. Check his site.

http://phonodecal.com/decals/scripts/main1.php

Phonolair
Victor III

Post by Phonolair »

callron wrote:On another matter, I got the Cygnet No. 10 decals on eBay (came from Peru) and they have a gold background.
It appears from photos of original unrestored horns that the background is silver.
Again, thanks in advance
The original Edison Cygnet decal had a gold back ground.

Larry Crandell

JerryVan
Victor Monarch Special

Post by JerryVan »

Phonolair wrote:
callron wrote:On another matter, I got the Cygnet No. 10 decals on eBay (came from Peru) and they have a gold background.
Again, thanks in advance
The original Edison Cygnet decal had a gold back ground.

Larry Crandell

The silver is what's left behind after the original gold toning has faded/worn away. The silver is there to give the original decal it's metallic looking shine.

VictrolaGuy - Walt
Victor Jr

Post by VictrolaGuy - Walt »

melvind wrote:Gregg Cline has the best decals around.
Being someone who actually uses decals from both Gregg and Eduardo I can report from actual experience that both supply top notch products. While there is a lot of overlap in their offerings you will find that Eduardo produces some decals that Gregg does not, and vice versa. Both, therefore, are valuable resources.

(As for those who prefer to "Buy American" you are in luck...Both guys are Americans.)