Question About A Rear Mount Victor E

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
Jerry B.
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Stop for a visit when in Oregon.

Question About A Rear Mount Victor E

Post by Jerry B. »

I recently picked up this Victor E. It is obviously been neglected for quite some time. The case is dirty and I suspect it has been in a barn for years. I have always preached that when the Exhibition is in the playing position the needle should touch or come very close to the spindle. Please note that the needle would be well past the spindle. If I had seen a similar machine at a show I would argue that the small back bracket and tone arm were replaced by parts from a Victor II. But this machine looks like it has been neglected for decades. Yes, this machine was purchased from a collector but this and the other machines appeared to have been purchased and placed in an out building. The collector recently passed away and his children said he bought things with the intention of restoring them when he retired. Unfortunately he never had the opportunity.

Does anyone own a similar Victor E with the large tone arm and back bracket?

Did the very late Victor E use the Victor II size tone arm and back bracket? Is this supported in Victor literature?

Thanks, Jerry Blais
Attachments
IMG_1393.JPG
IMG_1394.JPG
IMG_1392.JPG

HisMastersVoice
Auxetophone

Re: Question About A Rear Mount Victor E

Post by HisMastersVoice »

Jerry,

Unfortunately I suspect that tonearm and back bracket to be incorrect, but your serial number may help us here too. Here’s a photo of my taper arm E:
8A62413D-FA84-4D13-B737-81846E9A627C.jpeg

Django
Victor IV

Post by Django »

I think that I have the correct back bracket, but not the tone arm. If anyone could provide the basic dimensions, (including overall dimensions, the mounting hole spacing and diameters that receive the elbow and tone arm), I can see if it is correct. It is in nice shape with good striping. I do not have a need for the parts that are on the Victor E, but we could probably work out another trade if it is correct and if you are interested.

HisMastersVoice
Auxetophone

Looking at this post-coffee, it appears that the horn may also be from a Vic II, as it looks too large for an E horn. If you find an orphan Vic II cabinet & motor, you'll be all set!

Jerry B.
Victor Monarch Special

Post by Jerry B. »

My machine is serial #66474. In the Victor Data Book information about the Victor E in included with the Victor II. That's because the E evolved into the II. The serial number places this machine in the fall of 1907. The Data book says that the first "hump back" Victor II was first shipped in March 1905.

I'm guessing this Victor E was made at the very end of the era and apparently after the Victor II was being shipped. But from the spring of 1905 to the fall of 1907 is quite a large overlap. ???

You could argue that, because the E and II were of the same place in the machine lineup that a Victor II back bracket and tone are were installed and it was shipped out. But this line of thought doesn't make sense because the Victor I was being built and why not get the correct parts from a Victor I?

The elbow on this machine has the early style limit pins. I've always associated this type of elbow with the lettered machines rather than the numbered ones.

Does anyone else have a Victor E in the 66000 serial number range? What's it like? Photo?

Does anyone else have a Victor II with an elbow with limit pins?

I Love This Hobby!
Jerry Blais

HisMastersVoice
Auxetophone

Jerry,

My machine is No. 67928 - which is even later than yours. I think that would tend to rule out the idea of a transitional machine.

Jerry B.
Victor Monarch Special

Post by Jerry B. »

My machine is No. 67928 - which is even later than yours. I think that would tend to rule out the idea of a transitional machine.
Thanks Brandon, That's exactly what I was looking for. Looks like I'll be selling parts in the Trader section!

Jerry Blais

zipcord
Victor I

Post by zipcord »

Jerry B.
Victor Monarch Special

Post by Jerry B. »

Zipcord, Thanks for sharing your link. The little Victor E has tons of style in a small package plus the double spring motor. It's tough to beat that combination especially if the motor is reasonably quiet.

Thanks everyone!
Jerry Blais

Phonofreak
Victor VI

Post by Phonofreak »

I don't think this back bracket is original to your Victor E, as a transitional model. However, it looks like it was mounted on many years ago by the owner for better and louder volume, just a guess. I don't think Victor would allow something like this to leave the factory. I'm sure this set up didn't track well and probably ruined a bunch of records. I think these late Victor E's were made concurrently with the earliest Humpback Victor II. Once the Victor E's were depleted, then Victor would concentrate on the Victor II. This is an educated guess.
Harvey Kravitz