A holder for the Hughes Stylus.

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
estott
Victor Monarch
Personal Text: I have good days...this might not be one of them

A holder for the Hughes Stylus.

Post by estott »

A number of forum members have examples of the Hughes Stylus- an offset attachment that allows a lateral soundbox to play vertical cut discs. Here is what is probably a plate to be installed in the cabinet to hold it when not in use. The left side reads THE HUGHES NEEDLE STARTER / MFG BY / HU-STYLUS CORP / PHILADELPHIA / PAT. PEND. The right side reads THIS STYLE ADAPTED TO ANY MAKE OF MACHINE/ HERBERT & HUESGEN / NEW-YORK / SOLE SALES AGENT.

Not for sale- This is already spoken for.
Attachments
Hughes.jpg

Pathe Logical
Victor II

Re: A holder for the Hughes Stylus.

Post by Pathe Logical »

Hi Eric,

This is indeed and interesting item, but I'm not sure of its intended use. Very cool though! I wonder what defines this as a Hughes "NEEDLE STARTER". Your item may be another, additional, completely unrelated product which happens to be made by the manufacturer of the HUSTYLUS. Two sides of one of my HUSTYLUS are pictured below.

Thanks for sharing,
Bob
Attachments
DSCN0949.JPG
DSCN0950.JPG

estott
Victor Monarch

Post by estott »

Possibly- the company made at least one other device - but it could be to hold it in the cabinet when not used- what ever it is for I've never seen another

Curt A
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Needle Tins are Addictive

Post by Curt A »

None of the holes seem to line up in any way to hold the HUSTYLUS for storage. Also, it seems that there are too many holes to fasten this to a cabinet, either that or it is way over engineered to hold a small device like the adapter. One screw would be enough to support the adapter, so this must be for some other use or device. It may be a tag from a store display or something... :?
"The phonograph† is not of any commercial value."
Thomas Alva Edison - Comment to his assistant, Samuel Insull.

"No one needs a Victrola XX, a Perfected Graphophone Type G, or whatever you call those noisy things."
My Wife

phonogfp
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: "If you look for the bad in people expecting to find it, you surely will." - A. Lincoln

Post by phonogfp »

Actually, this has nothing to do with the HUSTYLUS, but is the base for a Hughes Needle Starter, just as it states. The tabs at the bottom of this were to be bent upward 90 degrees, then the entire thing folded in half so the four holes aligned with each other forming two holes. A stamped metal fork (missing) was fastened into place via the two holes. It then could be rocked back and forth to guide a machine's tone arm into position so the needle would be over the run-in area of a record.

A complete example of a Hughes Needle Starter can be seen on page 149 of Antique Phonograph Accessories & Contraptions, Figure 3-133.

George P.

estott
Victor Monarch

Post by estott »

phonogfp wrote:Actually, this has nothing to do with the HUSTYLUS, but is the base for a Hughes Needle Starter, just as it states. The tabs at the bottom of this were to be bent upward 90 degrees, then the entire thing folded in half so the four holes aligned with each other forming two holes. A stamped metal fork (missing) was fastened into place via the two holes. It then could be rocked back and forth to guide a machine's tone arm into position so the needle would be over the run-in area of a record.

A complete example of a Hughes Needle Starter can be seen on page 149 of Antique Phonograph Accessories & Contraptions, Figure 3-133.

George P.
Nothing to do with the stylus itself, but from the same company.