Drip Pan Gem Reproducers: Some History Needed

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
Shawn
Victor IV
Personal Text: Its only Fun, when we're all having Fun!

Re: Drip Pan Gem Reproducers: Some History Needed

Post by Shawn »

Jerry,

It would be interesting to note if the Gem in your #2) Small diameter top plate, sitting above carriage arm picture was actually made to sit that way, or if some restorer put too many gaskets under the top plate. Do you know?

#1 appears to be the same as Doug's and is more commonly associated with the Branded case Gem.

There are predominantly two styles of top plates on drip pan Gem phonograph. The earliest is depicted in your #3 and on my machine pictured in this response. The second is the depicted in your #4.

However, as with many things in this hobby that we we believe we know, I am sure there were some factory variations of a later reproducer on earlier machines and vise versa.

The machine pictured here has the Hawthorn and Sheble case made especially for the Drip Pan Gem.

Shawn
Edison Drip Pan H and S Gem.png
Subscribe to my music and phonograph videos at https://www.youtube.com/@Shawn_O_Phonograph

Phonofreak
Victor VI

Post by Phonofreak »

Doug, Thanks for showing the pictures of your Branded Case Gem. Mine is exactly like this. Was the Drip pan and Branded case Gem made concurrently, or with overlaps? I thought the Branded Case Gem was made from about 1901 or 1902.
Harvey Kravitz

JerryVan
Victor Monarch Special

Post by JerryVan »

Shawn wrote:Jerry,

It would be interesting to note if the Gem in your #2) Small diameter top plate, sitting above carriage arm picture was actually made to sit that way, or if some restorer put too many gaskets under the top plate. Do you know?

#1 appears to be the same as Doug's and is more commonly associated with the Branded case Gem.

There are predominantly two styles of top plates on drip pan Gem phonograph. The earliest is depicted in your #3 and on my machine pictured in this response. The second is the depicted in your #4.

However, as with many things in this hobby that we we believe we know, I am sure there were some factory variations of a later reproducer on earlier machines and vise versa.

The machine pictured here has the Hawthorn and Sheble case made especially for the Drip Pan Gem.

Shawn
Edison Drip Pan H and S Gem.png
Shawn,

Thanks. I had the same thoughts on the #2 example. Mine is positioned the same way, above the carriage face, but as I state, it also appears altered. At this time, I don't know the answer to your question, but I will as soon as I visit the machine again and do a little more snooping.