How do you store and display your collections?

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
fran604g
Victor VI
Personal Text: I'm Feeling Cranky

Re: How do you store and display your collections?

Post by fran604g »

Django wrote:
travisgreyfox wrote:We need to start another thread and call it the minors league thread because this one is filled with the pros. I cant compete!

Thanks everyone for sharing.
The topic was about how your collection is displayed, rather than what is in it. Big or small, rare or common. It is about presentation. One machine tastefully displayed can be more pleasing than a room full of machines if done well. My collection is modest compared to some and large compared to others. It’s all relative.
Absolutely! A single machine on a small table with a rocking chair next to it, and a few records to play, is all one needs.

It's all about enjoying an experience from the distant past -- for me, anyway.

Best,
Fran
Francis; "i" for him, "e" for her
"Even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in a while" - the unappreciative supervisor.

phonogfp
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: "If you look for the bad in people expecting to find it, you surely will." - A. Lincoln

Post by phonogfp »

fran604g wrote:
Django wrote:
travisgreyfox wrote:We need to start another thread and call it the minors league thread because this one is filled with the pros. I cant compete!

Thanks everyone for sharing.
The topic was about how your collection is displayed, rather than what is in it. Big or small, rare or common. It is about presentation. One machine tastefully displayed can be more pleasing than a room full of machines if done well. My collection is modest compared to some and large compared to others. It’s all relative.
Absolutely! A single machine on a small table with a rocking chair next to it, and a few records to play, is all one needs.

It's all about enjoying an experience from the distant past -- for me, anyway.

Best,
Fran
Amen. It's not about "how many" or "how rare..." It's all about what's going on in your head. A Victrola XI playing Paul Whiteman can accomplish more inside one person's head than a coin-operated Class M playing the U.S. Marine Band might evoke in someone else. It's sort of like religion; we revere that which is meaningful to us personally. There's no "right" or "wrong" or "better" or "worse." And it certainly shouldn't be a competition.

One of this forum's members, Bob Barnett, has a wonderful Theodore Roosevelt quote as a subtitle to his avatar: "Comparison is the thief of joy." I really like that quote. :)

George P.

travisgreyfox
Victor IV

Post by travisgreyfox »

Agreed on all fronts with the posts above. I was simply making a "wow joke" :D

My collection is super modest, but brings me great joy.

travisgreyfox
Victor IV

Post by travisgreyfox »

This is a nice display :shock:
Attachments
Raffaella_neerkijkend-op-hond.jpg
Raffaella_neerkijkend-op-hond.jpg (201.68 KiB) Viewed 1556 times

Django
Victor IV

Post by Django »

travisgreyfox wrote:This is a nice display :shock:
It just goes to show that it’s all about presentation.

phonogfp
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: "If you look for the bad in people expecting to find it, you surely will." - A. Lincoln

Post by phonogfp »

It took me a few moments to notice the phonograph! :)

George P.

gramophone-georg
Victor VI
Personal Text: Northwest Of Normal

Post by gramophone-georg »

phonogfp wrote:It took me a few moments to notice the phonograph! :)

George P.
There's a phonograph? :?
"He who dies with the most shellac wins"- some nutty record geek

Hailey
Victor III

Post by Hailey »

If my wife is done with your photo shoot, could you please have her come on home?

Andreas Gramophones
Victor I

Post by Andreas Gramophones »

In my case everything seemed easy, I have a house with 3 rooms, one of them very large that I use to store the machines, it happens that it filled up and I started to occupy the other two rooms, it is very difficult, I do not intend to stop buying and space is already a real problem. I keep everything in order, with a certain tightness, there are some pictures of the current situation.
Attachments
DSC03138.JPG
DSC03154.JPG

Django
Victor IV

Post by Django »

Andreas Gramophones wrote:In my case everything seemed easy, I have a house with 3 rooms, one of them very large that I use to store the machines, it happens that it filled up and I started to occupy the other two rooms, it is very difficult, I do not intend to stop buying and space is already a real problem. I keep everything in order, with a certain tightness, there are some pictures of the current situation.
When I ran out of floor I made shelves from period furniture that had seen better days. When you really run out of room you can sell your least favorites and upgrade. You have a nice collection, so the upgrade might be a high bar. Just my two cents.

Here is my broken table and damaged sheet music stand. I am not generally a fan of re-purposing, but these were not something that I felt were worth restoring and finding the right shelf can be nearly impossible.
Attachments
IMG_0732.JPG
IMG_0734.JPG