Wanted : Mandrel and Shaft for Edison Standard Model C

Post by Talkophone »

Don't need the gear or pulley.

Larry

Phonofreak
Victor VI

Re: Wanted : Mandrel and Shaft for Edison Standard Model C

Post by Phonofreak »

Hey Larry, won't a mandrel and shaft from a model D fit? The only difference is the 2/4 min. gearing will be off.
Harvey Kravitz

Talkophone
Victor II

Post by Talkophone »

You might be right. Anyone know for sure?

Larry

studebakerphonos
Victor II
Personal Text: Skilled Craftsman produce radio cabinets at RCA Victor in Camden, N.J.

Post by studebakerphonos »

The C shaft is physically different in appearance, with a "nose" on the left side.

The second gear is different too, as I recall. nad not sure of the bedplate hole locations for the second gear.....

Hope this helps, Bob

tomb
Victor IV

Post by tomb »

studebakerphonos wrote:The C shaft is physically different in appearance, with a "nose" on the left side.

The second gear is different too, as I recall. nad not sure of the bedplate hole locations for the second gear.....

Hope this helps, Bob
I believe a mandrel and shaft will work in the C from a model D out along with the pulley. As said above it did have a different front on the original shaft though. It takes the small gear from a model B in the front. It takes a different second gear and worm screw. that are somewhat unique to a model C. It will also take a complete set of gears and mandrel from a model D out and you will have a model C with the model D gears. That is not how it comes from the factory though. All the holes are drilled into the bedplate to be a C or a D. That was how all future bedplates were configured out to the model F from the Edison factory. Tom B

mark gaisser
Victor O

Post by mark gaisser »

hey larry,
the d mandrel will not work on the c at all as the the c has a different shaft hole on the left end and a different style mandrel bearing....it is a tough mandrel to find as no other style like that was used on any other standard model phonograph.
hope this helps,
mark

tomb
Victor IV

Post by tomb »

mark gaisser wrote:hey larry,
the d mandrel will not work on the c at all as the the c has a different shaft hole on the left end and a different style mandrel bearing....it is a tough mandrel to find as no other style like that was used on any other standard model phonograph.
hope this helps,
mark
Mark is probably right but I am now interested and Tue or Wed I will tear apart a C and a D mandrel machines and see if they cross. The main point would be the bearing. Tom B

studebakerphonos
Victor II
Personal Text: Skilled Craftsman produce radio cabinets at RCA Victor in Camden, N.J.

Post by studebakerphonos »

Do you need a shaft or mandrel, i.e. what is bad on yours or is the mandrel and shaft completely missing?

Talkophone
Victor II

Post by Talkophone »

I need both. The shaft I think is bent and mandrel slides up and down.

Larry

tomb
Victor IV

Post by tomb »

I took the mandrel off a model D and ran it on my model C. It will work with a adjustment or part change. The mandrels are basically the same height with the C mandrel being about ⅛ inch taller than the D mandrel. The small end gear from the model C will not work on the D mandrel as it has a bushing in it so you will need a model A or B end gear. The end bearing worked for both. As long as you have the second gear and the worm screw from the model C ( as they are unique to the C ) you will be ok till you can find a replacement for the mandrel and end gear to bring it back to original. The C mandrel has the small end and is tapered on the shaft till it gets to the correct pulley diameter. The D mandrel will work on the C pulley. I hope this helps you but there is a fairly large extra expense made till you can replace the D parts with the C parts so take that into consideration. The D mandrel is readily available. Here are some pictures. Tom B
Attachments
Bearings are close...
Bearings are close...
different end lengths but heights close
different end lengths but heights close
two mandrels  C has the rounded end
two mandrels C has the rounded end
It works
It works
Flat end shaft
Flat end shaft
IMG_1942.JPG