Recent water damage help requested

Share your phonograph repair & restoration techniques here
Phono-Phan
Victor V

Recent water damage help requested

Post by Phono-Phan »

I recently had a water line leak and drip on my walnut XVII. The water stains are fresh and I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions on how to repair them. Thanks in advance for any advice. I will also post this in the Machines section.
Ken Brekke
Attachments
IMG_5011.jpg
IMG_5011.jpg (79.44 KiB) Viewed 1323 times
IMG_5007.jpg
IMG_5007.jpg (78.56 KiB) Viewed 1323 times

martinola
Victor III

Re: Recent water damage help requested

Post by martinola »

If it were mine, I'd get a clean old piece of t-shirt, pad it up and get it medium damp/damp dry with denatured alcohol. Then I'd start doing "touch downs and take offs" with the alcohol dampened pad. Take your time. What you have is like a big "glass ring" with dampness under the finish. The alcohol should drive it out. I had success in reversing a very nasty "glass ring" on my 1920s Starr upright piano using that technique. Sorry you had that happen, but I suspect that it will come right if you're careful and take your time.

Regards,
Martin

Remmotors
Victor O

Re: Recent water damage help requested

Post by Remmotors »

martinola wrote:If it were mine, I'd get a clean old piece of t-shirt, pad it up and get it medium damp/damp dry with denatured alcohol. Then I'd start doing "touch downs and take offs" with the alcohol dampened pad. Take your time. What you have is like a big "glass ring" with dampness under the finish. The alcohol should drive it out. I had success in reversing a very nasty "glass ring" on my 1920s Starr upright piano using that technique. Sorry you had that happen, but I suspect that it will come right if you're careful and take your time.

Regards,
Martin
Ken,
Martin is absolutely correct. Do not use Lemon oil or orange oil or steel wool (not only causes physical damage but it will chemically react with walnut and oak causing black spots). Lay the phonograph on its side and take your time. If the finish starts to get a little sticky, let it set for a few days. This method should completely repair the damage. Patience is paramount while doing this.
Beautiful phonograph!
Roy