Diamond C Rebuild--how to do it?

Share your phonograph repair & restoration techniques here
VanEpsFan1914
Victor VI
Personal Text: I've got both kinds of music--classical & rag-time.

Diamond C Rebuild--how to do it?

Post by VanEpsFan1914 »

So I have been spinning Blue Amberols on my new Edison Amberola 30. The music is fun but the records sound awful. I've checked the stylus and it still works, and experimented with adjusting the hinge block. Any tips on dismantling it--a step-by-step Amberola for Dummies guide so I can change the gaskets without destroying my reproducer?

The reproducer is a late series Diamond C, with pot-metal (Black) housing.

HisMastersVoice
Auxetophone

Re: Diamond C Rebuild--how to do it?

Post by HisMastersVoice »

As far as I’m concerned,

Step 1) send it to Steve Medved
Step 2) re-install on machine and play

;)

VanEpsFan1914
Victor VI

Post by VanEpsFan1914 »

I wish!

Mr Medved is a master indeed but I don't have the mazuma for a master's repair. Instead, I need to do the work myself.

So how do I get started pulling that thing apart? The diaphragm is looking a bit rough but that may be the natural cork. I know it sounds rough, like a Victrola with a well-aged reproducer.

tomb
Victor IV

Post by tomb »

You could go into the search section and inquire about it. It may take a while but I am sure there is some information there. Also this should be posted under machines for greater exposure. A lot of experts are out there and I am sure some one can give advice. I have never touched a diamond reproducer and have only sent them out but give it a try if you screw it up then send it to Steve or Whyatt. Tom B

Lucius1958
Victor VI

Post by Lucius1958 »

Assuming you've got the reproducer out of the carriage and horn already, the process is roughly:

1. - Remove the stylus pin from the weight (if there is enough sticking out to catch the end firmly) with very fine needle-nosed pliers or forceps. If this cannot be done, move to step 2.

2.- Unscrew the weight from the reproducer body. If the pivot screw is stubborn, use penetrating oil to free it. Unhook the diaphragm link from the stylus bar. Set these aside.

3. - Unscrew the compression ring: you can make a simple tool for this out of sheet metal. If it is stubborn, use penetrating oil (and perhaps a spell in the freezer overnight).

4. - Remove the thin retaining ring on top of the outer gasket, and remove the diaphragm. If it is stubborn, blow down the reproducer neck to free it. Remove the hardened inner gasket.

Now you're ready to install new gaskets, and reverse the procedure to reassemble the reproducer. (Note: the compression ring should be just tight enough to make it airtight - no more. Blow down the neck again and check for leakage).

Bill

VanEpsFan1914
Victor VI

Post by VanEpsFan1914 »

Thanks All.

Lucius1958--I got the thing apart at the cost of the original diaphragm cord, which frayed out due to advanced age. With a bit of string and some new gaskets (the originals crumbled) it ought to sound a lot better. If not then I throw a TrueTone in it.

VintageTechnologies
Victor IV

Post by VintageTechnologies »

Use some kind of string that does not stretch or the sound will be very poor.

Lucius1958
Victor VI

Post by Lucius1958 »

VanEpsFan1914 wrote:Thanks All.

Lucius1958--I got the thing apart at the cost of the original diaphragm cord, which frayed out due to advanced age. With a bit of string and some new gaskets (the originals crumbled) it ought to sound a lot better. If not then I throw a TrueTone in it.
I think you'd do well to use the TrueTone: I've used them, and they sound great.

Bill