Zonophone differences

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
PaulG
Victor O

Zonophone differences

Post by PaulG »

What is the difference between the Zonophone Home and the Parlor. Which one came out first, and what dates?

Paul

VintageTechnologies
Victor IV

Re: Zonophone differences

Post by VintageTechnologies »

You could study my Zonophone "Parlor". It is Featured Phonograph #93. It was made about 1902 and has a different cabinet than the "Home". The motor should be the same. I am not a Zonophone expert, but other members are.

http://forum.talkingmachine.info/viewto ... =2&t=14726

PaulG
Victor O

Post by PaulG »

My Parlor must be a late model. The crank on mine goes through the cabinet, not part of the bed plate.
Attachments
image.jpeg

zonophpones7
Victor I

Post by zonophpones7 »

I have had a number of these over the years. The Home and Parlor use the same motor. Typically they are the type shown in the attached photos and the crank comes through the case a bit off center to the right. They both have 7 inch turntables. The only difference is the cabinet design. The parlor has the overhanging molding around the top of the cabinet While the home has no molding.

The home has a similar case to the earlier model C. The crank on the C will come through the cabinet at the center, not offset. I can be either the earlier through the case design or the later "humpback" motor design where the crank shaft comes out above the center of the cabinet. Some early Homes have no decal and are mistaken for a model C, the clue for correct identification is the crank position.

The machine referenced by VintageTechnologies is a very early Parlor with the humback motor and I would consider it to be a transitional machine while using up existing inventories of motors.

Here are some pics of a home and a parlor machine I used to own. The parlor has the optional 24 inch horn setup.
Attachments
zono parlor 2.jpg
zono parlor 2.jpg (53.12 KiB) Viewed 1183 times
zono parlor 3.jpg
zono parlor 3.jpg (52.33 KiB) Viewed 1183 times
zono parlor 1.jpg
zono parlor 1.jpg (53.5 KiB) Viewed 1183 times
zono home 5.jpg
zono home 5.jpg (54.75 KiB) Viewed 1183 times
zono home 4.jpg
zono home 4.jpg (54.06 KiB) Viewed 1183 times
zono home 3.jpg