SOLD: "MR JOHNSON DON'T GET GAY"-Silas Leachman 7"- $150

Buy, sell, or trade your phonograph-related items here [except music]
FellowCollector
Victor IV

SOLD: "MR JOHNSON DON'T GET GAY"-Silas Leachman 7"- $150

Post by FellowCollector »

If you enjoy early Eldridge Johnson 7 inch records here is one from my collection that I never thought I would consider parting with.

This is the elusive early comic recording legend, Silas Leachman (he performed most of his recordings alone accompanied by himself on piano) on an Eldridge Johnson 7-inch Victor Record #A-800 with "MR. JOHNSON DON'T GET GAY". **BTW: Try to find even ONE picture of Silas Leachman anywhere...I've never found one**

This is an exceptionally uncommon recording especially on the 7-inch ER Johnson label. All recordings by Silas Leachman are in high demand by many collectors. I'm simply trying to slowly scale down my large collection of early discs.

"MR. JOHNSON", whom Silas Leachman sings of in this recording, is presumably early heavyweight black boxer, Jack Johnson, who by 1901 was quickly becoming very well known for his heavyweight boxing skills.

The record is announced by Leachman (as with all of his Victor recordings-which were few!) and the record plays nicely start to finish. However, there is one jumped groove near the very end of the recording. This is not a hung groove but a jumped groove. It is a minor detraction since it occurs near the very end but I wanted to mention it.

PM with interest. Packed securely. Shipped USPS Media Mail (or Priority if desired) at buyer's expense.

Thanks,
Doug
Attachments
Mr. Johnson Don't Get Gay - ERJ 7inch Record.jpg
Last edited by FellowCollector on Mon Nov 13, 2017 7:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

melvind
Victor IV

Re: FOR SALE: "MR JOHNSON DON'T GET GAY"-Silas Leachman 7"-

Post by melvind »

A quick Google search found a picture of him on Wikipedia and one more location.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Silas_Leachman

http://theoldrecordgal.blogspot.com/201 ... n1859.html
1280px-Silas_Leachman.jpg

FellowCollector
Victor IV

Post by FellowCollector »

Thanks Dan! This is the first time I've seen his picture. I have lots of books on early recording artists but none showed a picture. It's been a long time since I've tried searching online for a picture of him. Now I can finally put a picture with his voice! :)

Doug

VanEpsFan1914
Victor VI
Personal Text: I've got both kinds of music--classical & rag-time.

Post by VanEpsFan1914 »

Can Don Wilson with the Berliner Archive Project mold a copy before you sell it? He returns the ones he molds, along with giving you a new resin copy that will work on vintage machines. That would give you both the funds from selling it, and the recording itself would stay in your collection.

donniej
Victor III

Post by donniej »

Sold!
PS. Thank you for thinking of me, Charles!