Melamine Foam for cleaning styli

Share your phonograph repair & restoration techniques here
chunnybh
Victor III
Personal Text: "If I had all the money I'd spent on drink, I'd spend it on drink." Vivian Stanshall

Melamine Foam for cleaning styli

Post by chunnybh »

Hi all,
For a number of years I have heard about the Magic Eraser sponge being used to clean styli.
We use this sponge in the kitchen to clean just about everything, my wife thinks it's the bees knees. The only drawback is the sponges wear out quite quickly.
I cut out a small cube of the sponge and placed it under the stylus in rest position. I carefully lowered the stylus into and out of the sponge. To my complete surprise, simply that, cleaned the stylus. I mean really cleaned the stylus.
With a bit of on-line research, I found out that the sponge is made of Melamine Foam which has a honeycombed structure.
I also found it being sold on ebay for a fraction of the cost of buying the branded version from a store (averaging $5 each). 100 pcs for less than £5 including postage all the way from China. Doesn't seem possible, but 3 weeks later a large parcel arrived with 100 pcs of the sponge.
I can cut 10 stylus cleaning pads from each piece. I'm changing the pad once a month but I am sure it would last a lot longer.
I now have a lifetime supply of stylus cleaners for virtually nothing
I'm just amazed at how well the Melamine sponge works. Great too on phonograph styli.
I've also started using the sponges for cleaning cabinetwork. A dry sponge gently rubbed on any timber will bring it up. I bought some expensive smoke sponges a while back to clean smoke stains on a paper horn. The cheap Melamine sponges work just as well.
Attachments
Sponge.jpg
Sponge.jpg (16.16 KiB) Viewed 2135 times
Last edited by chunnybh on Sat Nov 18, 2017 6:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mr Grumpy
Victor III

Re: Melamine Foam for cleaning styli

Post by Mr Grumpy »

Brilliant! Thanks for this.

Are the magic eraser branded pads embedded with some type of cleaning solvent that isn't in your Chinese foam?
Vince
Youtube

caratunk
Victor Jr

Post by caratunk »

we use this also to clean the walls and yes there is a white solvent in it we wet ours with water squeeze it almost dry and go at it...after it dries on the walls from scrubbing.... we have to go back and clean off the residue on the walls from it....like a white chalky gritty stuff ..other than that i like it too;];];]

soundgen
Victor V

Post by soundgen »

chunnybh wrote:Hi all,
For a number of years I have heard about the Magic Eraser sponge being used to clean styli.
We use this sponge in the kitchen to clean just about everything, my wife thinks it's the bees knees. The only drawback is the sponges wear out quite quickly.
I cut out a small cube of the sponge and placed it under the stylus in rest position. I carefully lowered the stylus into and out of the sponge. To my complete surprise, simply that, cleaned the stylus. I mean really cleaned the stylus.
With a bit of on-line research, I found out that the sponge is made of Melamine Foam which has a honeycombed structure.
I also found it being sold on ebay for a fraction of the cost of buying the branded version from a store (averaging $5 each). 100 pcs for less than $5 including postage all the way from China. Doesn't seem possible, but 3 weeks later a large parcel arrived with 100 pcs of the sponge.
I can cut 10 stylus cleaning pads from each piece. I'm changing the pad once a month but I am sure it would last a lot longer.
I now have a lifetime supply of stylus cleaners for virtually nothing
I'm just amazed at how well the Melamine sponge works. Great too on phonograph styli.
I've also started using the sponges for cleaning cabinetwork. A dry sponge gently rubbed on any timber will bring it up. I bought some expensive smoke sponges a while back to clean smoke stains on a paper horn. The cheap Melamine sponges work just as well.
Can you post the Ebay link to your Magic pad buy ?

chunnybh
Victor III
Personal Text: "If I had all the money I'd spent on drink, I'd spend it on drink." Vivian Stanshall

Post by chunnybh »

Are the magic eraser branded pads embedded with some type of cleaning solvent that isn't in your Chinese foam?
The melamine sponges from China have no solvent in them. When washed, nothing comes out of them.
Here is just one of the many ebay suppliers.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/20-50-100PCS ... 1jMoSfIgyg

Marco Gilardetti
Victor IV
Personal Text: F. Depero, "Grammofono", 1923.

Post by Marco Gilardetti »

Aside from styli (not really interested in that application), which effect do they have on other surfaces? Do they leave a glossy or a frosted finish? Do they wear out writings etc.?

chunnybh
Victor III

Post by chunnybh »

Melamine foam is a bit like very fine sandpaper, finer than 0000 wire wool, but still an abrasive. I would not use it on a car finish unless as a key before painting. On finished wood it works a treat. Cleaning the dirt but not noticeable on the final finish. I like the fact that it does not have any chemical additives and I can use it dry on just about anything. I last used it on the perspex lid of my turntable which still has some deep scratches but the fine scratches are all gone and it is clear again.