I Wonder Where My Baby is To-Night? (Charleston reference)

Discussions on Records, Recording, & Artists
melvind
Victor IV

I Wonder Where My Baby is To-Night? (Charleston reference)

Post by melvind »

I found this Henry Burr and Billy Murray record from 1926 a couple of weeks ago at an Antique show. I was a bit surprised and delighted by it. It is a fun comic song with a bit of banter, singing and towards the end a references to the Charleston. A fun recording I had never heard before. And, to hear Billy Murray and Henry Burr on a good quality electric recording is nice too. Many of those old cylinder and early disc records of them with scratchy and not always well recorded. This gives a better idea of what they really sounded like.

[youtubehd]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Vv8jxlQcFU[/youtubehd]

Wolfe
Victor V

Re: I Wonder Where My Baby is To-Night? (Charleston referenc

Post by Wolfe »

I heard Billy Murray was sick with the flu when this was made. He does sound a bit stuffed up.

caratunk
Victor Jr

Post by caratunk »

i dont know if this would help but in my research i found on records that they used velvet coth to clean the old records no water no soaps ... just velvet.. i have a 78 record an that thing was filthy so just for kicks i tried itand got a nice clean shine from it i took it to the needle too... tried to play it... crystal clear .. no grainy sounds or anything... i couldnt believe it...so give this a try;];];];] to me it even sounded louder too..

melvind
Victor IV

Post by melvind »

caratunk wrote:i dont know if this would help but in my research i found on records that they used velvet coth to clean the old records no water no soaps ... just velvet.. i have a 78 record an that thing was filthy so just for kicks i tried itand got a nice clean shine from it i took it to the needle too... tried to play it... crystal clear .. no grainy sounds or anything... i couldnt believe it...so give this a try;];];];] to me it even sounded louder too..

I have tried a microfiber cloth alone, a modern disc brush, water, soap and water. What I find is that if the record is very clean the microfiber cloth does the best job. If the record has been out of the jacket for years (80 or 90) a cloth simply doesn't get everything out of the grooves. Water and even sometimes a very small amount of mild non-alcoholic dish soap followed by a microfiber cloth does the best. There is a lot of dirt on many of these old record and they do need to be cleaned.

Wolfe
Victor V

Post by Wolfe »

I've playing with one of these for cleaning 78's here and there. The non alcohol detergent is supposed to be safe for 78's. You don't get the labels wet either because the water / detergent runs off along the circumference of the record.

It's a very popular accessory among the vinyl crowd as well : https://www.amazon.com/SPIN-CLEAN-START ... B002UKSZUU

alang
VTLA
Personal Text: TMF Moderator

Post by alang »

Wolfe wrote:I've playing with one of these for cleaning 78's here and there. The non alcohol detergent is supposed to be safe for 78's. You don't get the labels wet either because the water / detergent runs off along the circumference of the record.

It's a very popular accessory among the vinyl crowd as well : https://www.amazon.com/SPIN-CLEAN-START ... B002UKSZUU
Yes, just washed another 60ish records with this last weekend. It works very well and saves time for most records. Some really crusty ones with decades of dirt and nicotine need to go through twice or may even need a manual treatment with a toothbrush and liquid. If you have lots of records it is a big time saver.

Andreas

melvind
Victor IV

Post by melvind »

I just cleaned this Ernest Hare and Billy Jones Vocalian red record with a very small amount of detergent and a damp cloth. Then fully dried it with a microfiber cloth and it plays really well. I just recorded it and put it on YouTube. For a 1922 acoustic record it is about as clearly recorded and manufactured as they come. And, the cleaning seems to have done the trick to allow my modern turntable to capture it.

[youtubehd]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ni0V3XCoJMI[/youtubehd]

coyote
Victor II

Post by coyote »

I've always liked this version, too, although it sounds a bit slow here. (YouTube posting is not mine)

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pWCxNA8BPsE[/youtube]

melvind
Victor IV

Post by melvind »

coyote wrote:I've always liked version, too, although it sounds a bit slow here. (YouTube posting is not mine)
There seem to be hundreds of versions of this and from the 20s nearly everyone recorded the song. Here is a more recent version filmed in someones home or apartment with 3 young guys playing the crap out of this song. It is really something, but has nothing at all to do with 78 records. :D https://youtu.be/q_vs6QL7rUI

BusyBeeCylinder
Victor I

Post by BusyBeeCylinder »

Thanks for sharing the link. Very cool rendition of "I wonder where my baby is tonite"!