Does Anyone Have A Mahogany HMV 109 or 103 Cabinet?

Discussions on Talking Machines of British or European Manufacture
12jslater
Victor II

Does Anyone Have A Mahogany HMV 109 or 103 Cabinet?

Post by 12jslater »

I need a 109 or 103 cabinet for my gramophone as my cabinet, the veneer is split, the doors are warped, there are extra holes everywhere however the fittings, the motor and everything else is perfect.

Please help, Jake
Last edited by 12jslater on Wed Nov 15, 2017 10:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

Orchorsol
Victor IV

Re: Does Anyone Have A HMV 109 or 103 Cabinet?

Post by Orchorsol »

Which do you need Jake? They are not directly interchangeable - different fixing holes in the motorboard, and different position of the winding hole. I have an empty 103 cabinet available.
BCN thorn needles made to the original 1920s specifications: http://www.burmesecolourneedles.com

Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCe4DNb ... TPE-zTAJGg?

12jslater
Victor II

Post by 12jslater »

Orchorsol wrote:Which do you need Jake? They are not directly interchangeable - different fixing holes in the motorboard, and different position of the winding hole. I have an empty 103 cabinet available.
What wood is the cabinet? As i plan to take my existing motor board and board for the tone arm at the back and transfer them over

soundgen
Victor V

Post by soundgen »

12jslater wrote:
Orchorsol wrote:Which do you need Jake? They are not directly interchangeable - different fixing holes in the motorboard, and different position of the winding hole. I have an empty 103 cabinet available.
What wood is the cabinet? As i plan to take my existing motor board and board for the tone arm at the back and transfer them over
Can you post some pictures of the cabinet and motor so we know what you are talking about ?

12jslater
Victor II

Post by 12jslater »

It is a HMV 109 with great internals its case is just unsalvageable. It has the HMV 32 motor

soundgen
Victor V

Post by soundgen »

12jslater wrote:It is a HMV 109 with great internals its case is just unsalvageable. It has the HMV 32 motor

Oak or Mahogany ?

soundgen
Victor V

Post by soundgen »

12jslater wrote:It is a HMV 109 with great internals its case is just unsalvageable. It has the HMV 32 motor

Just by the way ,actually nothing is unsalvageable it just needs lots of determination !

Veneer can be reglued and holes can be filled and doors can be dewarped with a suitable press

12jslater
Victor II

Post by 12jslater »

Mahogany, all the wood on the lid has shrunk leaving gaps, the wood has a split on the left panel where the machine appears to have been dropped, there's veneer missing and the doors are so warped they don't actually close properly anymore, the only decent parts are the mouldings on the bottom. unfortunately this case has completely had it.

Orchorsol
Victor IV

Post by Orchorsol »

12jslater wrote:
I think it's mahogany Jake but I'm not sure offhand. I had the same thought as you, to put 109 internals in it, but the motor board and arm board do not fit. Both length and width different, as I remember.
BCN thorn needles made to the original 1920s specifications: http://www.burmesecolourneedles.com

Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCe4DNb ... TPE-zTAJGg?

12jslater
Victor II

Post by 12jslater »

I always thought that they shared the same size case and yes it is a mahogany case im looking for.