Wisconsin Newb with VV-IX-A

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
DaveMo
Victor Jr

Wisconsin Newb with VV-IX-A

Post by DaveMo »

Greetings All:

I'm new to this board and and in the process of rebuilding this Victrola. You folks here seem like a friendly and helpful bunch, so I'd like to pick the collective brain, with your kind permission!

This machine's oak finish is in very good shape. Light rust is evident on a few metal parts, etc. The platter felt looks like it has already been replaced once, but has since been grooved by the needle and shows yellow mildew stains. The innards don't look like they've been monkeyed with at all. The sound box is an Exhibition with all parts present and needs a rebuild, of course. My intent is to keep all parts as original as possible.

I've already cleaned and repacked the twin motor springs (what a job!) and cleaned and oiled all the pinions, etc. I've got the parts on hand to do the sound box in the next few days.

Have got a few questions that I'd like to pose here:

When was this machine likely built? I have one opinion that suggests the early 1920's. That doesn't sound kosher with what I've read in this forum. Serial number is 338534.

Second, a question about the lid. When closed, it doesn't sit level with the rest of the machine - i.e., it sits high (3/16") on the hinge line while the front sits tight against the round felt pads. Is this arrangement correct for this machine? I see that the upper hinge half hasn't been inlaid into the lid while the lower half has been inlaid. Maybe somebody forgot to do the upper at the factory? I can do the work, but thought I'd check here first before making sawdust.

Finally, the paper instructions are still glued in place inside, but getting a bit long of tooth. Is it advisable to cover them with a coating of varnish, shellac, etc?

So there you have it. Any help provided here would be much appreciated.

Dave Mo...

Victor VI

Re: Wisconsin Newb with VV-IX-A

Post by 52089 »

According to the Victor-Victrola page on your model, based on the serial number you provided, your machine is from 1917.

http://www.victor-victrola.com/IX.htm

Ordnarily the lid should be fully flush with the cabinet. Pictures always help.

Personally I would not coat the paper labels with anything. First, I would take pictures of them as is and perhaps keep them with the machine. Then I might take some sort of plastic sheeting and cover the labels, taping the plastic to the cabinet without touching the paper itself or any finished area of the cabinet.

Congrats on getting as far as you have! You'll find tons of advice on restoration throughout the board.

Phono-Phan
Victor V

Post by Phono-Phan »

Welcome to the Forum and the crazy phonograph hobby/obsession. Where in Wisconsin are you located? I am in Plover. If you are not far, I can take a look at if for you and see what issues you are concerned about.
Ken Brekke

DaveMo
Victor Jr

Post by DaveMo »

Thank-you 52089 for the date of manufacture and for the suggestion on how best to preserve the instruction sheets. Good suggestions!

Ken - great to know that you might be available should the need arise. I am located down the road a bit from you in Baraboo.

Well, I've got a couple of photos of the hinge line but can't figure out how to post them here. The Img button above doesn't seem to do much other than just post a string of characters. Likely I'm missing something in the posting technique.

Thanks to you both!

Dave...
Attachments
Hinge line.JPG
Lid gap.JPG
Last edited by DaveMo on Mon Nov 13, 2017 8:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Victor VI

Post by 52089 »

DaveMo wrote: Well, I've got a couple of photos of the hinge line but can't figure out how to post them here.

Dave...

Tutorial here:

http://forum.talkingmachine.info/viewto ... t+pictures

DaveMo
Victor Jr

Post by DaveMo »

Folks: Thanks for the assistance, 50289, in adding photos to the text. I placed two shots of the hinge line to my post on the question. The second one shows the problem better.

Thanks.

Dave...

GregVTLA
Victor III
Personal Text: Greg

Post by GregVTLA »

Hi Dave! Welcome to the hobby! Does your machine have a motor board and turntable? In the picture provided, I don't see one. If you don't have them, I'm sure someone on this forum could sell you one.

Greg

Lucius1958
Victor VI

Post by Lucius1958 »

Just checked my 1916 VV-IX, and there is no recess in the lid. Could the problem be with the hinge itself? Something that distorted it?

Bill

alang
VTLA
Personal Text: TMF Moderator

Post by alang »

I checked my mahogany 1918 VV-IX-A this morning. It is the same as yours, the hinge has been inlaid at the case, but not at lid. The resulting gap does not seem as big as on your machine. Hard to see on the pictures, but could it be that someone used round head screws instead of oval head, thus creating a larger gap?

Hope that helps
Andreas
Attachments
VV-IXa Hinge.jpg
VV-IXa Hinge gap.jpg

CharliePhono
Victor III
Personal Text: "The kerosene record player is not a very efficient device." ~Frank Zappa

Post by CharliePhono »

As improbable as it may sound, I had a Victrola lid sitting a bit proud like that. Somehow a needle had gotten lodged under a portion of the bottom hinge, preventing flush closure.