Hmv 101 motor problems

Share your phonograph repair & restoration techniques here
12jslater
Victor II

Hmv 101 motor problems

Post by 12jslater »

My Hmv 101 has the 59 motor and whenever I tighten the screws which hold the top plate of the motor down the motor will not run but when one of the stews is loosened slightly the motor runs fine.

Please help me, Jake

Phono48
Victor IV

Re: Hmv 101 motor problems

Post by Phono48 »

When you took the motor apart, did you make sure the little ball bearing under the centre spindle didn't fall out and get lost? It sits in the bronze cup in bottom plate, and if its not there, it will mean the spindle is running metal to metal.

12jslater
Victor II

Post by 12jslater »

Yes i have ensure the ball bearing is under the main spindle and a washer under the spring barrel.

Phono48
Victor IV

Post by Phono48 »

Is it the original washer? If not, or if it has been mistakenly swapped for another one, then it may be too thick, so it is pressing too hard on the spring drum when the bolts are tightened. Just a thought.....

12jslater
Victor II

Post by 12jslater »

I thought that too but the motor ran before it was rebuilt no worse than a normal 101 motor however it lacked power due to the old grease now it wont run properly.

Phono48
Victor IV

Post by Phono48 »

Take the spring drum out, assemble the rest of the motor, and do the nuts up. Now try turning the governors, the intermediate gear, and the turntable spindle. They should all spin freely, and if they do, then the problem is with the spring drum. If they won't spin, then one of the those three is at fault, so remove each of them in turn, replacing the rest of the motor at each attempt.

soundgen
Victor V

Post by soundgen »

Sometimes it's the governor , the pillars can be "bent" if the motor has been dropped , try loosening the bearings slightly if this doesn't work just place some thin washers under the pillars and screw up tightly so it has the gap needed to play ! Problem solved and don't worry