Can someone tell me more about this logo

Discussions on Talking Machines of British or European Manufacture
alang
VTLA
Personal Text: TMF Moderator

Re: Can someone tell me more about this logo

Post by alang »

soundgen wrote:
walser wrote:The brake pad usually is made of leather but sometimes I've seen felt pads.

Regarding the wormgear, post some pictures to see the extent of the damage. Its very important to have a clean and stright wormgear or it will destroy the fibre gear.
? governor pads are usually felt are they not ? or are we talking about something else ? does this motor have a worm gear ? I doubt it , perhaps you could post pictures ? it probably has a vertical governor and the problem is the gear at the bottom of the governor , Judicial use of thin washers can present a new part of the gear to the intermediate gear making it work properly
Governor pads in the US are mostly leather, in Europe they seem mostly made from felt.

Andreas

Layla
Victor Jr

Post by Layla »

Thank you everyone for all your comments.

The lid cover of the spring is attached with hooks, so you need to turn it to release it.

I used wd40 but it I didn't succeed nor my husband to get it open, my second try was to using a screwdriver and a hammer to make the hooks wider, but I gave up after breaking one of the hooks :(

At this moment the spring is at a professional clock maker, I gave him graphite grease and asked him to grease the spring. He asked 20 euro's (for opening the spring, cleaning, greasing, closing lid) and he told me that graphite grease is not recommend because of 'metal ingredients' and it will be sticky when wrong used. But at my request he will use graphite grease.

Meanwhile I have removed dents in horn by putting it in a large plastic bag and let it down in hot boiled water. I used a wrench (covered with a tea towel) to push out the dents. Result is great :)

I attached pictures of damaged gear.
Attachments
DSC04004.JPG
DSC04003.JPG
DSC04002.JPG

soundgen
Victor V

Post by soundgen »

Layla wrote:Thank you everyone for all your comments.

The lid cover of the spring is attached with hooks, so you need to turn it to release it.

I used wd40 but it I didn't succeed nor my husband to get it open, my second try was to using a screwdriver and a hammer to make the hooks wider, but I gave up after breaking one of the hooks :(

At this moment the spring is at a professional clock maker, I gave him graphite grease and asked him to grease the spring. He asked 20 euro's (for opening the spring, cleaning, greasing, closing lid) and he told me that graphite grease is not recommend because of 'metal ingredients' and it will be sticky when wrong used. But at my request he will use graphite grease.

Meanwhile I have removed dents in horn by putting it in a large plastic bag and let it down in hot boiled water. I used a wrench (covered with a tea towel) to push out the dents. Result is great :)

I attached pictures of damaged gear.
The top part of the gear is undamaged and as I already said judicial use of thin washers can present a new part of the gear to the intermediate gear making it work properly , so you need to raise the intermediate gear with washers so it contacts the undamaged gear this often works

Layla
Victor Jr

Post by Layla »

soundgen wrote: The top part of the gear is undamaged and as I already said judicial use of thin washers can present a new part of the gear to the intermediate gear making it work properly , so you need to raise the intermediate gear with washers so it contacts the undamaged gear this often works
By the way, I attached pictures of motor. I found an adjustment knob, it is turnable so by turning this it will bring gears closer together.

Another way, which you recommend is to higher the turntable spindle, but I don't know how, how to place the thin washer? I think when I use it, it will be no longer attached to the lid/cover (which has a hole for it). I will post some more pictures.
Attachments
DSC03996 - kopie.JPG
nasty motor.JPG
Last edited by Layla on Thu Nov 23, 2017 6:13 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Layla
Victor Jr

Post by Layla »

I attached pictures of the spindle gear which must be raised.
Attachments
DSC03994 - kopie.JPG
DSC03995 - kopie.JPG
DSC03985.JPG

Marco Gilardetti
Victor IV
Personal Text: F. Depero, "Grammofono", 1923.

Post by Marco Gilardetti »

Usually those eccentric bushings are not only "turnable", but also adjustable vertically along the axis, so the most appropriate working point of the gears can be selected. This motor is on the cheap side, in this respect. However, if the motor works fine as is, with constant and well regulated speed, I say keep it as is. Motors with radial gears are always noisy anyway, those with helical gears are silent.

walser
Victor II

Post by walser »

I suspect that the gear can be removed from the shaft and turned upside down so leaving the good portion of the tooth in contact with the other gear.

You will need a pinion puller like this: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Walkera-W010-G ... 1954055561 and make a hollow adaptor to avoid pressing on the thin portion of the shaft. If you don't have the tool I'm sure a clock maker can do it easily.

If the pinion is part of the shaft, I suggest to turn down in a lathe the damaged part to the same diameter of the current shaft (the portion that goes inside the bushing) as much as possible ensuring that the other side of the shaft still engages with the other bushing and placing a washer to compensate the difference. Again a clock maker can do it easily if you don't have the tools.

jboger
Victor IV

Post by jboger »

Judging from the photos, it looks as if the pinion teeth are cut directly into shaft. You would need to pull the governor out and look at the pinion dead on to determine if the pinion is a friction fit to the shaft. Without looking it's hard to say, but if it were, that would have required extra work: making the separate pinion and turning down the arbor to fit the pinion. The most cost-effective thing to do for a relatively inexpensive machine was to cut the teeth directly into the shaft. The width of the pinion is about the same as the width of the shaft, so I suspect that's the case. But take a look. I like Walser's suggestion to flip the pinion, if removable, otherwise I agree with Marco to leave it alone. If the machine works adequately as is, and you plan to use it occasionally, then I'd leave it alone. You can always buy another machine.

Layla
Victor Jr

Post by Layla »

Thank you all. I have purchased the pinion puller. The motor is assembled.

The governor is too noisy (very loud). One of the weights is loose the other two are tight. There is no screw to tighten up. Could this be the reason why it is noisy?

And I discovered the spindle gear which turns the govenor is a bit bended and caused a "knocking" sound each turn at some specific place. So I will try discover that place to bend it correct.

Marco Gilardetti
Victor IV
Personal Text: F. Depero, "Grammofono", 1923.

Post by Marco Gilardetti »

How are the wheights fastened to the springs if there is no screw? Usually there is a screw on the back of the spring, and the wheight itself is threaded. You have to disassemble the spring to access the screw on the back (if any). Take care as the wheights are often lead or other soft metal and are easily stripped, and these springs are quite fragile. It's easy to bend them or break them with the heavy wheight attached.