Great deal on a Rigid Arm!

Post links to auctions and classifieds here
melvind
Victor IV

Great deal on a Rigid Arm!

Post by melvind »

Why hasn't this already sold?! Seems like a screaming deal to me. I don't have the money or room right now, but someone should get this.

http://r.ebay.com/9Su8vJ
rigid arm.jpg

Retrograde
Victor III

Re: Great deal on a Rigid Arm!

Post by Retrograde »

FWIW... It has been listed several time and hasn't had any bids.

gramophone-georg
Victor VI
Personal Text: Northwest Of Normal

Post by gramophone-georg »

I think it's a great deal as well but I am in the same money/ space conundrum.

I'm thinking that eBay buyers have no idea what they are looking at and are suspicious... either that or eBay and not the seller slapped "best offer" on there and the seller is getting lowball offers only. Maybe both.

The forced "best offer" is the latest eyerolling "help" for sellers courtesy of eBay. They're starting to do it on auction listings also if they "feel" you are overpriced or your item hasn't sold quickly enough.
"He who dies with the most shellac wins"- some nutty record geek

Phono-Phan
Victor V

Post by Phono-Phan »

I am surprised also that this hasn't sold yet. It has been listed and re-listed several times. Rigid arm Victors are VERY hard to find. This one looks complete and all correct.
Ken

JerryVan
Victor Monarch Special

Post by JerryVan »

With shipping, $2500.00 Sorry guys, I'm not seeing a bargain here.

Phonofreak
Victor VI

Post by Phonofreak »

That's the going rate for a complete, original Rigid Arm Victor. This is a pre-dog one. If the elbow and record hold down are original, this will be a great deal. Those two original parts are extremely tough to find.
Harvey Kravitz

Kent in KC
Victor II

Post by Kent in KC »

I see a couple things: Pre-Dog machine with a Victor decal on the horn and maybe it's just the photos but that elbow looks like it's collapsed under the weight of the horn. These may be red flags to potential bidders?

Curt A
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Needle Tins are Addictive

Post by Curt A »

It's not really clear from the picture if the elbow is a correct original... It looks to be, but it appears to be at a 90 degree angle - either bent or a regular front mount elbow. If it is bent, it is difficult to fix correctly and if it is a front mount elbow, then it will be difficult to find the correct elbow to complete it. Also, a B&B horn with the Victor decal is not correct for this machine. I had a Pre-Dog Monarch Rigid Arm machine like this one several years ago with a broken elbow... it took 13 years of hunting to find an original replacement.

From the listing: "The brass bell horn is in excellent condition with a very good dog decal."
"The phonograph† is not of any commercial value."
Thomas Alva Edison - Comment to his assistant, Samuel Insull.

"No one needs a Victrola XX, a Perfected Graphophone Type G, or whatever you call those noisy things."
My Wife

JerryVan
Victor Monarch Special

Post by JerryVan »

The elbow is correct. It has the proper reinforcing collar at its base. It's just a bit collapsed, like 90% of these are. Turntable edge painted silver? Poor felt. Poor nickle. Rare?: Yes. Worth $2500, maybe. A bargain: NO.

melvind
Victor IV

Post by melvind »

JerryVan wrote:The elbow is correct. It has the proper reinforcing collar at its base. It's just a bit collapsed, like 90% of these are. Turntable edge painted silver? Poor felt. Poor nickle. Rare?: Yes. Worth $2500, maybe. A bargain: NO.
I don't agree with it not being a bargain. I've been watching these at shows over the last 10 years and I have never seen one for such a low price.