Help need 78rpm speed strobe for EU (50hz) at scale

Share your phonograph repair & restoration techniques here
Layla
Victor Jr

Help need 78rpm speed strobe for EU (50hz) at scale

Post by Layla »

Does anyone has 78rpm speed strobe for EU (50hz) at SCALE (for example A4 scan)? I found many pictures at google and StrobeMaker software, but the drawings are not to scale, so it won't work accurate.

How to use a speed strobe? Should I print it out and glue it to a broken record? There are some factors which slowdown the motor, such as record weight, soundbox weight etc..

Should the speed strobe be used with soundbox on record?

Teak
Victor II

Re: Help need 78rpm speed strobe for EU (50hz) at scale

Post by Teak »

just buy a digital tachometer: https://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B00HFQ ... UTF8&psc=1
It is absolutely 100% worth it!

chunnybh
Victor III
Personal Text: "If I had all the money I'd spent on drink, I'd spend it on drink." Vivian Stanshall

Post by chunnybh »

Try this.
http://www.78rpm.com/rescat/strobe_info.htm

Ive used the program for cylinders too.

epigramophone
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: An analogue relic trapped in a digital world.

Post by epigramophone »

My old friend and repairer the late Philip Knighton made this strobe on a 116mm hardboard disc, but it has been unusable since I replaced all my inefficient incandescent light bulbs with modern low energy ones.

For speed testing I prefer a low tech approach more in keeping with my ancient machines. I place a small piece of paper between the record and the turntable, then count the revolutions against my watch. It works for me.
Attachments
IMG_1806.JPG
IMG_1807.JPG

Layla
Victor Jr

Post by Layla »

Thank you all for tips. I purchased a digital tachometer with laser. I also have installed 2 different apps for RPM calculation, but I don't think apps will work accurate as a smartphone it is not the same weight as a record + soundbox on a turntable.

alang
VTLA
Personal Text: TMF Moderator

Post by alang »

Layla wrote:Thank you all for tips. I purchased a digital tachometer with laser. I also have installed 2 different apps for RPM calculation, but I don't think apps will work accurate as a smartphone it is not the same weight as a record + soundbox on a turntable.
I agree, that’s why I use a digital tachometer while playing a record. Just put a small strip of the reflective material under the record so that it sticks out a bit. Then play the record and point the tachometer top down to point at that bit. Works like a charm

Andreas

howardpgh
Victor II

Post by howardpgh »

There is a program called Strobe Maker that you can printout any speed strobe disk for 50 or 60 Hz. You have to use a neon light with it or an old style flourescent desk lamp to freeze the dots.
I made some for the different Victor speeds and 80 rpm.
I'm sorry I don't know the link to it.

phonojim
Victor IV

Post by phonojim »

A strobe disc will work with a fluorescent lamp if the fixture has a magnetic ballast, however not if it has an electronic ballast. You can easily make make a neon lamp for your strobe disc using a small neon bulb with a 100,000 ohm resistor in series for 120 volt operation or a 200,000 ohm for 240 volt. It could probably be done with an LED and a series resistor also but I have not done that. The advantage of using a strobe is that speed irregularities and "creep" areeasy to see. That said, I do love my digital tach.

Jim

arthurmacie
Victor O

Post by arthurmacie »

There are plenty of free apps for Iphone (I am sure for other phones as well) that you can use to strobe at the frequencies you want.

MarkELynch
Victor II

Post by MarkELynch »

Member Chuck Azzalina has a strobe creation program listed on his website.

http://www.myvintagetv.com/strobe.htm