Columbia Grafonola Crank spins backwards

Share your phonograph repair & restoration techniques here
thecouches
Victor Jr

Columbia Grafonola Crank spins backwards

Post by thecouches »

My Columbia Grafonola crank was working normally until I removed the tone arm. Now when I turn the crank handle it spins backwards. What have I done or what can I try to prevent the handle from spinning backwards?

Dave D
Victor IV

Re: Columbia Grafonola Crank spins backwards

Post by Dave D »

It sounds to me like you are describing a defective ratchet and or ratchet pawl.
Dave D

Phonofreak
Victor VI

Post by Phonofreak »

I would check the ratchet pawl to make sure it engages the gear. Most of the time, it needs lubrication, or an adjustment. If the crank still slip backwards, check the ratchet gear to see if the teeth are worn or missing. Also check the ratchet pawl to see if it is worn or the little ends are not broken off.
Harvey Kravitz

Curt A
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Needle Tins are Addictive

Post by Curt A »

Just in case you don't know what a ratchet pawl is, it's the small spring or gravity operated piece that falls back between the winding gears to stop the motor from running backwards... As Harvey said, it might need some lubrication or the spring that pulls it into place may have disconnected. It's probably a coincidence that this happened when you removed the tonearm, unless you somehow messed with the motor...
"The phonograph† is not of any commercial value."
Thomas Alva Edison - Comment to his assistant, Samuel Insull.

"No one needs a Victrola XX, a Perfected Graphophone Type G, or whatever you call those noisy things."
My Wife