Correct albums for Victrola 8-9?

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
HisMastersVoice
Auxetophone

Correct albums for Victrola 8-9?

Post by HisMastersVoice »

I've always wondered what type of album would be correct for an 8-9, does anyone have a photo? All of the 8-9s I've seen have a hodgepodge of random albums or no albums at all. I would like to outfit mine with a set eventually and it would be nice to know what I'm looking for. Thanks!

Skihawx
Victor III

Re: Correct albums for Victrola 8-9?

Post by Skihawx »

I always though it would be the 8-35 type leather front albums.

Silvertone
Victor II

Post by Silvertone »

This model was not supplied with albums as standard equipment, but Victor encouraged its dealers to sell a set of the current albums with the machine. These would have been the same colorful albums used in the other Victrolas at that time, such as the 8-35, 9-54, etc. These albums simulated a fine leather bound book and were available in many colors.

Interestingly, a collector is making very nice reproductions of the spine material for these albums that can be applied to any standard album. He sells them on ebay or through the Yankee Trader section of this site.
Attachments
Victor-8-9-letter.jpg

HisMastersVoice
Auxetophone

Post by HisMastersVoice »

I have seen that document, yes. Is there any proof that these are indeed the 8-35 type that they are referring to? Has anyone seen an 8-9 with these albums? I tried one from my 8-35 and found it difficult to extract so I second guessed whether this was correct.

Incidentally, the person making those album covers is a good friend of mine. He did a great job on them!

Pathe Logical
Victor II

Post by Pathe Logical »

I would agree with Skihawx on this. The four albums pictured on the right in the photos of the following post http://forum.talkingmachine.info/viewto ... =2&t=25320 may possibly be valid candidates also.

Bob

EarlH
Victor III

Post by EarlH »

I have an 8-9 with a low serial number and it came with those leather looking albums in it. The brown one's and the guy I got it from bought it on a household sale and wasn't one to even look at the records, much less care about switching or putting albums in it so I've always figured they came with the thing. It probably depended on what the dealer had laying around I suppose and what all they were offering the customer to make a sale. Around here I think every Edison got two copies of "Snow Deer" as a bonus! Who knows what the Vance Company was up to do get a Victrola in a home.